Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you bind by machine or by hand? >

do you bind by machine or by hand?

do you bind by machine or by hand?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM

I do all my binding by hand. I think it gives the project a much cleaner finish. It is very relaxing for me to sit in front of the TV and stitch. Before you know it it is all done.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 AM

I do the back with hand stitching either the blind stitch or lately I have been using the ladder stitch. I tried by machine once and did not like the look of it. Plus I hand quilt and I like doing the binding by hand watching tv, etc. Very relaxing for me and it doesn't take that long.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 AM

I bind almost everything by machine. I sew the doubled binding to the front, turn, pin, then stitch in the ditch (on the top.) I mostly use invisible thread on the top.
Nadine, your sewing machine is just like my mother's. I gave it to my niece and it is her primary sewing machine. What a good old sturdy machine -- they don't make them like that anymore.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM

What is the "envelope method?"
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM

I believe it right sides of the fabrics altogether and sew around leaving a spot open to turn inside out and then stitch the smal spot closed, they are quite often tied and don't need a seperate binding.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tutty
I put my bindings on by machine and then handstitch but I would like to learn how to completely machine stitch front and back without the stitch showing through on the front, I've seen it look that way but my tests have not worked out so......
I first machine-sew the binding strip to the back of the quilt. Then I fold it over to the front, and machine-top-stitch it with a plain straight stitch, but not right on the edge. I make sure the folded edge of the binding covers the first stitching, then I move back from the edge about an 8th of an inch to stitch it, so that the stitching falls on the binding on the back side also. It then looks like the binding was sewed on with only one step. With some practice, you can do it.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:07 PM

I like for the back to look as good as the front. Therefore, I stitch the back down by hand using a blind stitch and you can't see it if you are careful. If you look at prize winning quilts, they are all stitched down by hand. I'm not saying I am a prize winning quilter, but I've watched a lot of judgingof quilts.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
Originally Posted by tutty
I put my bindings on by machine and then handstitch but I would like to learn how to completely machine stitch front and back without the stitch showing through on the front, I've seen it look that way but my tests have not worked out so......
I first machine-sew the binding strip to the back of the quilt. Then I fold it over to the front, and machine-top-stitch it with a plain straight stitch, but not right on the edge. I make sure the folded edge of the binding covers the first stitching, then I move back from the edge about an 8th of an inch to stitch it, so that the stitching falls on the binding on the back side also. It then looks like the binding was sewed on with only one step. With some practice, you can do it.
I do this and to keep the stitching straight and even, I use my stitch in the ditch foot and move the needle over to the right as far as it needs to go to catch the underside of the binding. It works very nicely.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Hand Stitch for me!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM

I forgot to mention, I always use my walking foot when I stitch the binding! It makes such a difference!