Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cry when you gift a quilt? >

Do you cry when you gift a quilt?

Do you cry when you gift a quilt?

Old 11-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Do you cry when you gift a quilt?

Do THEY cry when they get a quilt from you? Every time I give a quilt, tears flow. No idea why. But my heart has always been on my sleeve.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:17 AM

I don't cry unless the receiver has tears in their eyes and then I know the quilt I made them is treasured and appreciated.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I don't cry unless the receiver has tears in their eyes and then I know the quilt I made them is treasured and appreciated.
Same here.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:28 AM

Only if they cry first.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:31 AM

I cry about a lot of things, but giving quilts is not one of those times. Any tears shed were in private during the construction. Quilting is meditative for me and often I learn more about myself than I do about the process. By the time I'm done with a quilt, I'm really done with it, and once I give something it is gone from me as well. It's time to move on to the next project -- the "best" project for me is always the one planned after the one I'm working on

I have to admit, I got strangely emotional with the projects in the Round Robin I was involved with. I've swapped blocks and fabric before with never a second thought, but that project was different. Each month a little stranger would arrive in my house, be cared for and treated well, grow up a bit, patted on the head and sent off to the next house.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:11 AM

I don't usually cry. There have been a few. I have made 3 quilts that were made as palls for caskets as request of family. I was approached by 2 families to make when their loved ones became gravely ill. I was glad to do this for them and I cried all the way through making them, presenting them and then seeing them on top of their caskets. They meant a great deal to the families. The third one was the pall for my beloved Aunt Mary. The tears flowed like a river. She had asked for a quilt the year before she die when she first found out she was not going to survive an inoperative aneurysm. I made it for her and her next request made me sob even more when she ask that this drape her casket. I now have that quilt back and it is a treasure that will be passed down to my daughters to pass to their children with the stories of Aunt Mary all written out. This one still brings tears to my eyes.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Can't sew until I stop weeping. Hugs my dear. Beautiful story.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

My cousin asked me if I'd make her a quilt. I was shocked because she isn't crafty and doesn't like this type of thing. Well I was wrong. She asked for one. Of course I said yes and when I did she said to me, Oh thank you, I will treasure it for the rest of my life". Since we were texting she didn't see the tears that welled up. I was so touched by her reply.
We grew up together, more like sisters, but have lived far away for many years. But we're still close.
Well then my first grandchild came along! Since then it's been all about her. But I didn't forget my cousin and she's getting her quilt for Christmas.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:38 PM

I may get a little teary eyed only because of the reaction of the quilt recipient.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:15 PM

I just want my effort to be appreciated. So if the giftee cries, I probably will too. No tears yet, but I have had lots of stunned silence, followed by "oh wow..." so that's nice.