Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut all your threads? >

Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

MaryB .. oh now you've gotten onto another Mom-ism when it comes to crewel! And don't forget, you do not hop from one to the other on the back of that crewel. Must end off and start again, so there are no threads between.

arrggghhhhhhhhhh!!!! :)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM

I always trim my threads to make my work as tidy as possilbe. I was the same way with my knitting, cross stitch, etc.
Ladies from the old country always made it a point to descreetly or not so discreetly turn the work over to check the back to make sure it looked as good as the front!!! Yikes! That's a lot of pressure for "perfection" to put on one's work!
I clip my threads because I am hardwired to be a neatnick...it's in my genes! :lol: :lol:
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 AM

my long arm quilter said the needles catch on the loose threads
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 AM

I have one machine with auto cut and one with "me" cut. I was raised to clip all threads but I seem to be getting lazier as the years progress. I generally clip the ones at the end of a row, but leave the ones on the "interior" blocks. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - 30 lashes with wet embroidery floss!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM

I was trained by a perfectionist, my sister, so have always cut my threads off. Now I have a Janome 6600 with the marvelous little automatic sizzors that cuts all threads and saves a bundle in wasted thread plus leaves the back of the quilt perfect.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)

My home me ec teacher always said that our projects should look as good on the inside as they did on the outside. We were graded on the inside as well as the outside. I can still hear her voice in my head as I sew even though it was 50 years ago. So I always trim my threads and press so that my back look as good as I can make them. Mrs. Short would be proud of the work I turn out now!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I try to cut all my threads as I sew. My high school Home Ec teacher drilled that into us, saying it was easier to cut the threads as we were sewing rather than waiting until the garment was finished (we didn't make quilts back then). I try to do as much strip piecing as I can and even when sewing blocks/borders/binding, I use a short piece of fabric that I sew onto, then I just cut the thread and when I'm ready to sew again, I sew off that piece of fabric to begin sewing again. It saves lots of time and also thread. MargeD Happy quilting.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 AM

I clip them. My long arm quilting friend wants the backs of the quilts as clean as the fronts. She said it could cause problems with the quilting of the quilt.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Trim them off as I go.

Then before final pressing and quilting, I cover every inch of front and back, and trim off all the extra threads as well as any frayed edges.

As I do the final pressing, I watch and trim any that avoided me in the other passes!
ditto...QuiltE, I love your avatar...what is it called?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Are you BOTH my long lost sisters?? I ditto it all!
Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)