Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Cut Your Quilt Pieces from Templates? >

Do You Cut Your Quilt Pieces from Templates?

Do You Cut Your Quilt Pieces from Templates?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I'm all for shortcuts when cutting fabric, but there are a lot of rulers, which are somewhat like templates that make our lives easier. I once bought a set of double wedding ring plastic templates for rotary cutters from Shar Jorgensen, which I liked. I never did get around to making that quilt, although I wanted to and somehow in the move from a house to an apt. they vanished. I'll have to find another way I guess, to make that particular quilt.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 AM

I fall in love with a pattern and do what I need to do....but if I can take a template-using pattern and make it into strip piecing, then all the better.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 AM

I do use templates if the block requires lots of small, precision cut pieces, or if particular parts of the fabric pattern are needed for repeats, or if the design has been drafted full-size and the pieces are irregular and need to match exactly-
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Not if I can help it! Strip piecing and chain sewing are my preference.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM

I do not use templates, I cut strips and cut the quilt pieces from these strips. Or cut squares and cut the pieces from these.
I cut everything with a ruler and rotary cutter.
I don't think theres too many pieced quilts where you need templates. The rotary cutter is a time saver. :thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
My mother used plastic templates to cut out all of her squares. She felt it was "the right way". Yeah, that lasted about 5 minutes with me! Without my Olfa mat, I don't think I would be quilting! Why torture yourself? If you go that route, you may as well hand stitch the whole thing and make a grand total of 2 quilts in your lifetime.
I wouldn't lock myself into only doing it one way, but I make lots of scrap quilts so I cut pieces out to use all my small material. If I am cutting from a yardage, I use my rotery cutter. I've made many a quilt using templates and scissors, AND hand piecing and hand quilting. usually can make more than two quilts in a lifetime. I know there are many who only rotary cut, machine piece and machine quilt and that's ok with me, but there are some of us who thoroughly love the process of doing things the old ways. Just our preference.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM

I learned to quilt by strip piecing. Sometimes I make a template but try to stay away from them. Even making a plastic template ends up shredded.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
My mother used plastic templates to cut out all of her squares. She felt it was "the right way". Yeah, that lasted about 5 minutes with me! Without my Olfa mat, I don't think I would be quilting! Why torture yourself? If you go that route, you may as well hand stitch the whole thing and make a grand total of 2 quilts in your lifetime.
I wouldn't lock myself into only doing it one way, but I make lots of scrap quilts so I cut pieces out to use all my small material. If I am cutting from a yardage, I use my rotery cutter. I've made many a quilt using templates and scissors, AND hand piecing and hand quilting. usually can make more than two quilts in a lifetime. I know there are many who only rotary cut, machine piece and machine quilt and that's ok with me, but there are some of us who thoroughly love the process of doing things the old ways. Just our preference.
:) No offense intended. I've done some projects with paper-piecing, and of course, 8-pointed stars can't be strip quilted. But I strip quilt whenever I can. ;)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 AM

I think quilt pieces cut with a rotary cutter and ruler are more accurate than cutting around templates with scissors.
I make scrap quilts, some PP, and never use templates. The rotary cutter/ruler is the best thing since sliced bread.:)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 AM

I don't mind using the templates. If the pattern calls for them I buy what is needed. I don't let that stop me from making something that I see that I want. I have done several "Patchwork Parties" and loved it.