Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes? >

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Old 05-17-2024, 04:38 AM

My scraps are difficult to sort by color as blue is my favorite and so is most of my stash! I never re-cut my scraps. I just sort by size, big or little. I am forever seeking the perfect storage system and will read any thread about scrap management!
Old 05-17-2024, 04:44 AM

I don't cut my scraps at all. I have bins for 1", 2", 4" and 5" plus "large". I can't see pre cutting them and then find out I needed them in another size instead. Rather search thru the bins from the size I need and larger, then cut them down to size.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Nope, anything that is not fat quarter size gets thrown in a clothes hamper. Once it’s full, look up a scrap pattern I want to do and use them. I tried cutting up my scraps and found that I always needed some of a different size. Then I would have to get out yardage to cut the right size and that would make more scraps.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:15 AM

I thought a long time about what would work for me. I had become a traditional methods quilter rather than using special rulers to cut HSTs and QSTs, etc., so the size strips I had originally cut were no longer the size I used for those units. I ended up saving a portion of my strips by color (to use for strings), and I also put aside by color, pieces I call 'bricks,' which are largish squares and rectangles. I was constrained by space, so I couldn't keep more than would fit in two five drawer units. I think I must have given away 90% of my scraps. I still haven't used the ones I saved (it could be that I'm really not a scrap quilter at heart).
Old 05-17-2024, 09:55 AM

My stash is not very large. My fat quarters and larger pieces are kept folded and stacked by color in a bookcase. The only time I buy yardage is for backing or a quilt that I will be making immediately. Fabric smaller than fat quarters or strips left over from backing is kept in plastic drawers by color. I cut irregular pieces into the following sizes. Squares: 1-1/2”, 2” and 2-1/2”. Strips: 2-1/2” and 2”. I also cut 1-1/2” “logs” from 2-1/2“ up to 12-1/2” for log cabin blocks, which I love to make. I do enjoy making scrappy quilts. I have had to buy one yard cuts of light fabric for scrappy quilts because I never seem to have enough light colored scraps. PS: I’ll probably end up donating all those 1-1/2” squares. I thought I’d make a postage stamp quilt someday, but it hasn’t happened yet.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:08 AM

I don't cut my scraps into specific sizes. Most of my scraps get used in applique, paper-piecing or are big enough for another quilt. I try to keep my scrap pieces as large as possible. Maybe in the future when my scraps start over-taking my sewing area, I will make some scrap quilts. I do sort my scraps by color. Hope this helps someone.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:22 AM

I will cut 2-1/2" strips, storing them piled or folded and piled in a bin, they have to be 6-1/2" long. I make placemats and donate them to meals on wheels. Then I also cut 5" squares charm pack size, those are stored in a 6" box stacked. I bought the box specifically for this purpose. Everything else gets either thrown, if very small, or put on ziplock bag and donated to my local thrift shop, in case a scrappy or crumb quilter shops there.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:16 AM

I make a lot of scrap quilts, but rarely need the same sizes or shapes. I don't cut down scraps, they are sorted into solids and prints but that is about it. I move things to the scrap bin when they are about 10" square or less, everything larger stays with stash.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:22 AM

Unless I'm working from one of the few kits I've purchased, I'm totally a scrap quilter. If red is required I use every red I've got
I like smaller pieces, so from scraps I cut 2",2.5" and 1.5" strips, and squares from that. It has worked wonderfully for my sewing and each day I sew I run across scaps I've purchased from members here Life is good! I seldom cut from my strips until my squares are getting down.
this is 2.5" stached by color, and neutral strings.
Attached Thumbnails precuts.jpg   strings-neutral.jpg  
Old 05-18-2024, 03:45 PM

I'm with WMUTeach. I don't cut scraps into sizes until I'm going to use them because if I do, I don't have the sizes I want and end up cutting again and wasting time and fabric.