Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Purplecrma can you show how you put them together. I understand how you do QAYG but would like to see your way
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Here's one I did as rows instead of individual blocks

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78541629Drmtam

I didn't like how the borders came out this way, in the future I'd so something different for borders.

All these wonderful examples are motivating me to give it try again. The photos are very inspirational.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:56 PM

I saw her tute on PBS then bought her book. If you go to her site she has many tutes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

I absolutely love those crazy quilts!

Alas, I'm not savvy enough to make one from those photos. I'd love a tutorial!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
I tried a small sample from the Cotton Theory of Quilting, and didn't like the dimensional seams.

I then got the book "Beautiful Quilts as You Go" by Keryn Emmerson. It explains four techniques. Using one of these, I made a very nice QAYG lap quilt for our living room. It is a strippy quilt but some of the methods would work for squares as well.

I did enjoy making it. I may make others in the future.

My second quilt - QAYG
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222616[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222610.jpe  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
Originally Posted by molly oldham
Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
Molly, the wider sashing is part of the Cotton Theory Method. The sashings are used to join the quilt blocks together.
I don't see the diminitional seams on the king-size quilt. How did you eliminate them? Are they on the back? I hope you don't mind so many questions.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Yes I like it
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM

:D Hi CraftyBear, I am a Handquilter but have never done a QAYG Before so I am still trying to get up the courage to start. IYHO which is the best tuturol to use to do this? I value your opion very much

I am fixing to start one for my DS that is 12 in blocks that will be 100x100 so I have my work cut out for me as it will not fit on my frames. would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you, Betty
Old 07-10-2011, 05:38 PM

I haven't made one yet, but have tried the joining process on a couple of my "Sample Quilt Sandwiches" just to see how the process works, and how the final piece turns out. Someday I (think) will join all the sample pcs together and have a quilt of some sort..... :idea: :?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM

On July 2 I put pic of my QAYG but then there were lots of questions to answer --no time then - will repost the pic below-
"Pomagranate"-McCalls 1959 -used QAYG because I got
Blocks-12"sqs started-cut,few appliqued,sandwiched,quilted
Fabric -included lots white, others mostly solid,
Batting-poly so no ironing as QAYG
Applique-pieces already cut out ready to do hand work, done as a TRAPUNTO method also on border. Batting inserted.

I had to design layout depending on # of blocks I could sew with this fabric. Wanted wide sashing to make usable quilt size. Placed batting into the green sashing to fill the 2.5 inch space. Sewed green top & back white sashing at same time on the one side of the block. Then sewed only white sashing to the back. Instead of hand sewing to finish the join I turned under the 1/4" on top green sashing and did the widest decorative stitch on both side edges. That held down the seam of the block but also acted as a way to quilt the batting that I had layed as filling between blocks.

After joining 3 together across I used Rose color to join strips together but they look better since I used same rose color thread which is what I would recommend. When doing decorative stitches your thread or bobbin can finish and it's harder to restart. Ask me how I know.

I used white bobbin as I wanted the back to be all white for whole cloth quilt look.
After blocks joined I had to add 2 borders with batting for size then hand sewed on the applique and outline quilted it by hand as I had the inside sq's.This way the batting was anchored. Decorative wide stitch around the border same design as on green /rose sashing

Timely to do my binding 2.5 as short of fabric -all doubled using proper joins with many pieces. Made placement balance on each side-blue across both ends not showing in pic
Hand sewed binding to back.Hand work limited to hands.

Think QAYG has lots of uses besides all these little strip blocks with narrow sashing that many books show.
My quilt was a concern since I did not start it.

Hope that answered all ?'s. That's my tutorial.

Back shows hand work & pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224886[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224875.jpe   attachment-224880.jpe