Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM

I haven't tried one yet, but I think I will someday. I loved the look of the scrappy string quilt that Ditter made. Maybe when I have enough stash/scraps, I'll give it a try! I've only been quilting for about 9 months and I really enjoy it, but I have to admit I start getting impatient for a completed product. I have 4 quilt tops that are still just tops and one that I have almost finished quilting and then only have to bind it. Can't wait to finish! :)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM

As a newbie, I don't know what quilt patterns lend themselves to QAYG, but I'd like to try some.

I've done several crib-size "6-Hour Quilts," a reversible table runner (designed by Karen Montgomery), and several pillow tops that a friend of mine designed, all of which were QAYG. They were fun projects but I wouldn't want to expand them to larger sizes.

Crafty Bear, can you suggest some good patterns/techniques???
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM

It has been awhile since I made one. I thought, once I got the hang of it, they were simple and a lot of enjoyment. I really need to sit down and decide on another project...quilt as you go sounds like the ticket.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM

I have not done a big quilt, but I have done a few table runners with QAYG.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM

I'm still pretty new to quilting so I haven't done one yet but I want to. I think I have seen more than one way to put them together and I haven't found directions that I plan to use yet.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Google Goddess

actually I am surfing to find us some cool links to share with all of you

1. video to watch on quilt as you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_OPPpXNLM

Originally Posted by sushi
As a newbie, I don't know what quilt patterns lend themselves to QAYG, but I'd like to try some.

I've done several crib-size "6-Hour Quilts," a reversible table runner (designed by Karen Montgomery), and several pillow tops that a friend of mine designed, all of which were QAYG. They were fun projects but I wouldn't want to expand them to larger sizes.

Crafty Bear, can you suggest some good patterns/techniques???
Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 PM
MTS
Banned

I posted this on another thread this morning. A lot of QAYG threads today.

The post in the link (and the one right after it on that thread) contain a list of a variety of methods and sources (books and tutorials here on the web) for those looking at the different methods.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135065-1.htm#3619244
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
I don't have a long arm and have found this very useful especially when doing a large quilt like a queen or king or doing quick charity quilts. I have adapted my own techniques and have done my free motion quilting on each section as I go. I place the top of the each section right sides together and on the bottom of each section right sides together with the batting under that. Then I stitch all 5 layers together using a little more than a 1/4 inch. Flip the top, bottom and batting open and smooth, free motion (if desired), add the next section, etc. I also add the borders the same way and then bind.
I don't like having to add that extra strip of fabric and hand sewing it to the back. My method avoids this and there are no raw edges. I have used this method using my serger for some of my charity quilts. The important thing is to smooth all the layers before meandering (free motion quilting) or adding the next section.
Just my technique and thoughts.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM

I've made a few (no pictures either) and like the process of making them.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Thanks to you guys for sharing the links - but that's the problem for me. There are TOO MANY ways to do it. I will definitely not hand sew so those are out, but still there are too many options. I want to do one so bad because I've only done FMQ on small things and feel confident there. Which no-hand-sew technique do you use?