Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM

they give me hope that i can make beautiful quilts someday. meanwhile, i'll sew along as happily as ever enjoying the process and hoping others will enjoy what i can do and the love with which i do it.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I belong to a quilt guild. We have members from all skill levels. At the end of each meeting we have a share time. Anyone who wants can share what they have been working with since the last meeting. It really makes me feel good to see all the different levels of skill displayed. I think appreciation is the key. Find someone who doesn't quilt and show them your quilting first. They will ooohhh and ahhhh over it and it will make you feel so good!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Don't worry,Yesterday is done.
I have to say that I am a slow learner,bad at math and self taught. I am a quilter even though It may take me a long time to sew one block that just confuses me.
I read a book called It's Ok To Sit On my Quilt. The best thing I ever did. It talks about breaking all the rules,telling people who point out your errors,"that You wanted it to look that way" Use every thing you make,if you hate it cut it up and use it in something else. The Best was If you are not having FUN,why do it.
You are a Quilter! On this board, We are just all at differant stages of quilting.
Please don't beat yourself up. Do something else for a little while and go back with a fresh look at it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Sorry to be long winded,
One last thing. For me seeing differant quilts helps my mind to be more creative.
Be good to yourself!
christina(chrissy)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginnie6
just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.
the answer is a RESOUNDING YES!! but Ditter is so right, I do like quilting [not piecing] and know my MANY limitations
Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

I thought I'd never be able to make a quilt. On top of that, I CERTAINLY didn't think my husband would be quilting on a LA! Both have happened.

I think the first block somebody makes is BEAUTIFUL. It shows they are willing to DO something rather than sit and wish.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM

I know how you're feeling, ginnie. I'm just starting out so I haven't felt that way about quilts yet - but I have definitely had moments where I felt that way about my writing.

The good news is there's no rush. There will always be someone who can make 'better' quilts than you and I. There will always be someone who can write better stories than I can. All that matters is that you continue to enjoy it and keep learning. After all, Lord Willing, you've got the rest of your life to perfect the art. :)
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM

We need to take a lesson from my dear late mother: If she was sewing and she kept making a mistake, she would get up put it all away and come back another day.Ithen just all came together.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Yes, looking at the quilts and wonder if I am good enough to do a quilt! being I did one recently, and confidence is waaaay down, wonder if I should stop all together. But that is just a moment thing and decide I am gonna learn this and make one of those quilts and even put it in a craft show! a goal to work on I guess.
all you ladies do so great with your quilts, hopefully I can too in time.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by marygrether
Yes, looking at the quilts and wonder if I am good enough to do a quilt! being I did one recently, and confidence is waaaay down, wonder if I should stop all together. But that is just a moment thing and decide I am gonna learn this and make one of those quilts and even put it in a craft show! a goal to work on I guess.
all you ladies do so great with your quilts, hopefully I can too in time.
You will! we all have to start somewhere.