Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you ever quilt when you're not feeling it? >
  • Do you ever quilt when you're not feeling it?

• Do you ever quilt when you're not feeling it?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Do you ever quilt when you're not feeling it?

I was having tension issues (for days) and after trying many things I think I have it figured out enough to try FMQ on my actual project rather than just practice pieces. But after many many practices I feel exhausted and am just not feeling it. I was just going to meander inside an appliqued silhouette that I put on a jelly roll race quilt but now I think my FMQ looks pretty choppy, not smooth like I know I can do. I was probably so focused on the tension problem as well as being pretty frustrated that I know I was not enjoying the practicing. I decided to get away from it and see what's going on here for awhile and in the process I wondered how many of you get to this point and do you push through or do you take opportunity to give yourself the break you need before pressing on?
    Old 07-14-2015, 03:28 PM

I have to leave it alone when I feel like that or I get frustrated & mad & make too many mistakes.
    Old 07-14-2015, 03:34 PM

If I try to do anything with the sewing machine when the mood is somewhere else, it will invariably end up in disaster. It is best to give it a rest and find a good book, or do some internet window shopping!
    Old 07-14-2015, 03:36 PM

I rarely FMQ for more than an hour a day. I just find that is my limit, after that I'm not enjoying it.
    Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

In order for me to do a decent job of FMQing,I need to be calm,relaxed,uninterrupted. It helps to have a dose of an adult beverage,and play appropriate music. If it isn't working out,I set it aside and cut scraps into squares for a while.
    Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 PM

I think for any part of making a quilt, if I'm not into it, it's asking for mistakes, so I tend to do whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. I've read many posts about having different projects going at one time, so that you can work on what you feel like doing at that time.
    Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM

That's why I have more than one quilt on the go. I just change my quilt and do another skill. Works every time and. I don't get oops in the work.
    Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 PM

By the time I get to the FMQ part, I usually start a new quilt so I have my hand applique work to take with me to work on while I'm out. So when I get too frustrated with one, I can always switch to the other. The only time I would really push through would be if I had a deadline for a client. Quilts for family or friends are usually a little late because I refuse to keep working on a quilt to the point I hate it if I'm going to have to see it over & over again every holiday.
    Old 07-15-2015, 03:45 AM

Any time I get frustrated with any part of my quilting, I find that the best thing to do is to speak softly, put it down gently, and leave the room
    Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 AM

Yes, push through only if a deadline. Otherwise, I'm not motivated to make the choice to do something I don't "have" to do. Right now, I'm FMQ'ing some tops that have been languishing for almost a year. I'm learning fmq is not something I enjoy that much..usually after 15 mins or so, i notice i'm tensed up and overly critical of my work...then i remember, "better done than perfect". to me best is "fun and done perfectly". lol