Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Face Your Machine? >

Do You Face Your Machine?

Do You Face Your Machine?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Do You Face Your Machine?

I have recently seen pics of a domestic machine set up for FMQ in which the quilter would face the left side of the machine, rather than the front. I'm guessing that with a FMQ foot on, there would be no issue setting it up this way? Unless your machine is like mine, and doesn't like to go in a NE direction?
I couldn't do it with my Sew Steady table in place anyway, but I might try it with the table removed, just to see if it's possible.
Does anyone quilt like this, and if so, how is it different/better?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

The one comment that comes out each time this discussion comes round is the difficulty
in reaching the machine controls controls for adjustments.

Though, we all need to do what works for us ...

There's no harm in trying it ... and if this works for you, then go for it!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I prefer sitting the way it was designed. I'm sort of considering a sit down mid arm, in a table, not a frame. I liked the handiquilter but I don't like the way it was oriented. Brother makes one that comes with a table that allows it to go either way. Not sure if I need one, but, am going to a show later this year and will play with them.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 PM

On my domesticate it face the regular way but on my mid arm Tiara I face the end. Makes no difference whatsoever to me. I thought it might, but it didn't .

Watson
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 AM

I sew the usual way on my domestic. I do a front facing sit down mid arm (Tiara III). That orientation really works for the way I do FMQ. I tried several different machines before buying but I love the wide field of vision the front facing machine gives you. Try different machines and you'll determine which works best for you.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM

I can see it set up like a sit down long arm and having lots of space left to right.. however, I see it getting dicey having to roll the bulk in a tight space though.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by incoming2me View Post
I can see it set up like a sit down long arm and having lots of space left to right.. however, I see it getting dicey having to roll the bulk in a tight space though.
..... though puddling would be easier with the arm out of the way .....
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Okay.. after getting my brain in gear - not overthinking the construction - I made tons of progress today! I have decided to make a king bed runner. All of my arc units are made. Glue sticks are my friend!
Attached Thumbnails long-rings.jpg  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
I have recently seen pics of a domestic machine set up for FMQ in which the quilter would face the left side of the machine, rather than the front. I'm guessing that with a FMQ foot on, there would be no issue setting it up this way? Unless your machine is like mine, and doesn't like to go in a NE direction?
I couldn't do it with my Sew Steady table in place anyway, but I might try it with the table removed, just to see if it's possible.
Does anyone quilt like this, and if so, how is it different/better?
Or you could do what I do.. Column Quilting.. I make the back in one piece and quilt one column at a time... leaving a good 1/2" on the side where the next column of blocks will be attached. I can quilt Any size quilt this way, with or without sashing etc. I stumbled on this series of 4 videos on youtube and have been using this method for large quilts (anything over 50" x 60")ever since. This woman made my life so much easier And I save a ton of LA money this way too.

Just hang in there in the beginning of video one. She improved as they move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU&t=381s

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 PM

It's pretty and Mr. Elmer Glueman & I are very friendly. He may just be my most favorite man ever... LOL