Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel like this aboout your scraps? >

Do you feel like this aboout your scraps?

Do you feel like this aboout your scraps?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:16 AM

I just finished cutting up all my scraps into sizes that I am using for specific blocks, namely log cabins and blocks that need 2.5" strips and squares. My definition of a scrap is something that is irregularly shaped, is a left-over binding, etc. If I have a WOF piece that is 6" wide, I do not consider that a scrap. That piece is ironed, folded and stored by color. To me, true scraps really can't be used for anything else.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Agreed.

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I just finished cutting up all my scraps into sizes that I am using for specific blocks, namely log cabins and blocks that need 2.5" strips and squares. My definition of a scrap is something that is irregularly shaped, is a left-over binding, etc. If I have a WOF piece that is 6" wide, I do not consider that a scrap. That piece is ironed, folded and stored by color. To me, true scraps really can't be used for anything else.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM

In the past, I haven't been much of a scrap quilter... but have not been able to "let go" of the scraps.
Well, earlier this year, I made Bonnie's Pineapple Blossom out of scraps, and En Provence was from my existing stash, so I'm getting better. The Moda Block Shuffle last year (or was that the year before?) also got me using my scraps more as well.

I also discovered that a lady at church is a beginning quilter, so I went through my stash and grabbed a boatload of not just scraps, but yardage as well, and gave her quite a bit of stuff to get her started... including a thread stand (I have something else I use for that), thread, and several books that I was tired of.

At this point, I'm not pre-cutting... unless I just want to get something out of the way. Then, if a fabric falls into the "WHAT was I thinking?!?!?" category, it's definitely fair game to be precut.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM

I used to cut my scraps on my Accuquilt into either strips or squares, whichever was best. Now I'm saving them and will not cut them until I want to make something as I have found out those dies and mats wear out.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM

I like to cut with a pattern in mind. My small scraps are cut into small squares and rectangles. Maybe only 2 or 3 at a time. They would not be used for anything else size wise. I leave the larger sizes alone.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 PM

I save my scraps mainly for applique work, its amazing how often I find just the right sized piece needed. I often think about precutting but then remember about the applique stuff and I also thoroughly enjoy tipping my wheely bin full of scraps onto the floor to find a fabric that might be suitable. I usually do this when I am looking after my grandchildren aged 4 and 2, they love playing with the fabric, grabbing a handful and and throwing it up and letting it fall all over them, keeps them occupied for quite a while and they also love helping me put it all back in the bin after, we usually play a game of putting all the same color in at the same time. I usually finish with black, as it seems I am always looking for small piece of black to finish something of.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:59 PM

I'm working on a summer quilt for myself and just finished making flowers for the borders from little scraps I had saved. So many times, my scraps has saved a project!! I love going through them! So colorful! I have fun seeing them used down to the finest sliver!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

I don't cut my fabric until I need it. In the past I've had a few fabrics that I absolutely adored. With every project, the pieces got smaller and smaller but I treasured every scrap and used it us entirely. I felt a little silly when I felt that ping on the heart string. After all, it's just fabric and I have many patterns I like a lot.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 PM

When I am done a project, and I mean completely done, I put all the fabric for that project away. Depending on size it goes on a Joanne board, a comic board, a fat quarter board. Smaller than a fat qtr, I cut to 5" square, 2.5" squares, or 2.5" strips or unmeasured crumb strips of about 1 inch. The rest is trash. Then I start a new project. I do not have a scrap bin, ever. My Accuquilt is my best friend to help me clean up and I am always ready to be an early bird at one of our members "swaps".
Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a big clothes hamper next to my cutting table for all my scraps. When it gets full I sack it up and give it away. I use out of it when I want to but I don't keep it once it's full. I always have more, it's never ending. I have too many fat quarters to ever run out of scraps.
That is probably a very wise move.