Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

When your quilt is ready to be quilted, do you hand quilt, machine, or send it out to have someone do it for you?

Blog Entries
    Hand quilt mostly. Eveything I do myself. Sent one out to be quilted And it Got lost never saw it again. Won't do that again.

I just finished hand quilting an antique quilt top that was given to me. However I send most of my quilt tops to the long armer, and the small ones I do my self on my own Sewing machine. Marge

Blog Entries
    Sometimes hand, sometimes machine, sometimes both. Never have sent one out, it is too expensive for me here.

Blog Entries
    Most by machine, very basic SID and a few by hand. Never have tried to send out, I am afraid of the cost :shock:
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    By machine, mostly SID or grid lines. I've had one sent out - it was old and needed more than I could give it.

I just starting to do some hand quilting but I most of the time I rent time on a longarm at my LQS.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Hand-quilter here. I love the relaxation it gives me. Nothing quite like the rocking motion of a needle and thread going through a beautiful fabric.

Short-Arm machine quilter here. :D

I had my first two done by a "professional". But as she only was meandering on her long arm, I figured I could do that too!! So, I have done all of mine, from table runners to a king-size on my machine!! If I was hand quilting, I would have either gone crazy, or still be working on my first one :!: :wink: :oops:

Hand quilter here. I have never learned to quilt any other way, and that's OK. Lot's of enjoyment in it.

I am basically only a handquilter. I do machine quilt small quilts like Linus that will go to children or relatives that don't know how to care for handwork.
    I have sent one kingsize quilt to a longarmer. Orginally I was going to have her baste it for me and then do the handquilting myself. When I decided to give it to my step-daughter for her 20th anniversary I had it longarmed. It cost me $165. I still have to bind it. I know my step-daughter will wash it to death. I was not willing to put more than a month's worth of handwork into it for that reason.

I machine quilt baby quilts, throw size and twin size, also wall hangings. Hand quilt almost anything. I'm a stab stitcher quilter also by the way. Most full or larger I have a lady in our quilt guild machine quilt as she has long arm quilting machine and does fabulous work. And her prices are pretty reasonable and even supplies batting if we want at reasonable price as she buys it by the large roll.

I machine quilt on my own regular size sewing machine. Around here it is pretty expensive and quite the wait to have it quilted by someone with a long arm. I'd rather spend my money on more fabrics!!!!
    I do have one that I may send out, it is a queen size flannel, not sure my shoulders can handle that one.

So many handquilters here, I have never attempted handquilting. I do SID on small things and big quilts are done by a long arm quilter.

Quote Originally Posted by collettakay
    Hand-quilter here. I love the relaxation it gives me. Nothing quite like the rocking motion of a needle and thread going through a beautiful fabric.

This is exactly how I feel!
    I love sitting at my quilting frame and quilting away the hours. I love using all kinds of stencils and making pretty patterns on the quilt. there are times when I wish I could machine quilt on gifts and charity work so it would go faster and will probably learn to in the future, but will never stop being a hand quilter! :D

Banned
    i typically machine quilt and then i do hand stitched embellishments.

I have handed quilted all but one of my quilts - and that one was a SMALL wall hanging. I'd love to have a frame and machine and stitch regulator - maybe one day (big sigh!)

I hand quilt. I enjoy doing it so much that I can't bear to send one out and deny myself the pleasure of hand quilting it. :roll:

I do all my own quilting on a home machine. I have done SID as well as custom quilting for the projects i have done thus far. I practice alot with FM and wouldnt be afraid to try quilting any design into something and the future of quilting my own looks good for me all of the tops i have done are queen sized and smaller. Chris

I started this venture with hand quilting. I bought a top on ebay and went to work. That's how my great grandmother mader her living so I wanted to do what she did. BUT, found the need to start piecing and found a long arm close by that was pretty reasonble. Now I'm about to do my first SID on my machine. So my answer is yes, yes and yes.

I hand quilt everything but my baby quilts. I figure a baby quilt is washed so many times that they would just stand up better. I do it on my sewing machine and just SID or do grid work.

I hand quilt very special things, machine quilt everything else myself. I sent out a queen-sized quilt once to a professional long-arm quilter, and it was ok. I just felt like I could have done it myself. It's hard work doing big quilts, but it's not impossible.

I machine quilt my own. Someday I would like to have a quilt frame and a long arm, but til then I do them on my Juki. It works fine for me.

I have done all three--hand quilt, machine quilt and send out to a longarmer. The cost to send the quilts out is so high! DH just bought me a nice new Viking Sapphire 870, with the longer throat bed so that it will be easier for me to work on bigger quilts. What I need now to be able to FMQ better is an acrylic extension to go on my machine. Hmmmm, DH's birthday is coming up this Friday--maybe I should get one of those for him? :? He said he would like to try doing FMQ sometime soon... :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast