Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you hand quilt?

Pushing needle through with thumbnail - me too! I hate thimbles, or maybe they hate me. :roll: :lol:

Occasionally. My hands won't allow much.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I use a leather thimble and a finger cot on my thumb to pull the needle through if need be and I don't use a hoop or a frame.
    How do you baste your quilt so you don't get puckers, I mean without using a hoop or a frame because that sounds like a good idea - not using a hoop or a frame

I sure do, and I love it!! I was a little scared to at first, but one day I just jumped in and started. My first stitches were about a quarter of an inch long, but I did not care. The more I did, the better my confidence became. Must do all I can before the Arthritis gets too bad.

I hand quilt and have since I made my first baby quilt 35 years ago! But my tops are piling up and I can't quilt fast enough, so I'm going to start machine quilting them. I bought a walking foot and quilted some table runners, place mats and tote bags, so next I'll be trying a wall hanging or throw size quilt. I love to hand quilt and my grandmother will turn over in her grave when I quilt a big quilt by machine! But I just gotta do it! (Sorry, grandma!)

I was taught how to quilt back in the early 80's by a lady that made everyone in class hand piece and hand quilt their first quilt. It taught us all alot about patience, really looking at what we were doing and the look we wanted to get. I've since learned to machine piece and quilt....and do some of both. Hand quilting means one or two quilts a year, whereas machine quilting will give me 5-6.... But I always have one in my lap to hand quilt while watching TV. I agree...very relaxing and stress relieving!

I hand quilt and machine quilt. I hand quilt to relax,and machine quilt when I need to get the quilt done.For example I am currently making a pink ribbon quilt for the Relay for Life at my job.It will be raffled off and the money will go for breast cancer research.My machine quilting is done on a regular sewing machine with a walking foot and a method called quilt as you go.

I love the look of hand quilting, and love to do it, but I just don't have time to do it. I have gone to having my quilts machine quilted. At least they will get done in my lifetime!
    Marta

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you hand quilt?

I am also learning to hand quilt! Sure takes practice, practice, practice.

I love to hear from others that hand quilts? Maybe you can give us tips and tricks, books that you enjoy, etc.

Happy Quilting by Hand

Craftybear
    I love hand quilting and people are amazingly complimentary about my stitches and I mean members of my quilting chapter and our guild officers when they visit - it has amazed me as until joining a chapter here 2 years ago, I've not had the opportunity to be around other quilters and am totally self taught. I don't use a hoop or frame but have tried using both and couldn't tolerate them. As a result, I pin baste heavily and then hand baste 3 inches apart top to bottom and side to side - very heavily basted. I prefer hand quilting as it gives a puffy look to my quilts and my batting of choice is the low loft polyester sold in a bag at JoAnn Fabrics. The members of my quilt chapter tried hard to convert me to 100% cotton until one guild meeting we had a well known presenter who hand quilts as much as she machine quilts and her batting of choice for hand quilting is polyester as well and to give the quilt dimension and puff. Never heard of such a thing myself, just a personal choice for me so hearing it put me on cloud 9. The does use warm and natural for all of her machine quilting projects and she does all of her machine quilting on a home sewing machine - no long arm for her. Too bad I can't remember her name because many of you would recognize her name.

I can't use a thimble. LOL. Found myself with my thimbled finger constantly sticking up out of the way and of totally no benefit or use. When my fingers get sore I use bag balm to treat them and will put masking tape or a bandaid in the tender area and it does the trick until the callous forms again. I have tried all kinds of thimbles so far without success and a hand quilter looks totally stupid sitting there happily quilting away with a wayward finger.

I do quilt as you go using a variation of the Marti Michell "Machine Quilting in Sections Book." She was written up several times in Woman's Day Magazine years ago and that's when I realized that yes, I can do this quilting thing if I use her technique. Over the years, my "Patty Style" has evolved and i work in panels. I recently bought her book because several friends in my quilt chapter want to learn how to do it but on their sewing machines and my specific modification will NOT work with machine as it would put too much fabric back on the machine. She has several approaches to quilt as you go in panels so something should work for most and yes, I do have seams on the back. My quilts done this way over 20 years ago, those seams have held up beautifully. The little mending I've had to do on my daughter's quilts was not to those seams but to areas of fabric that have worn thin or been torn.

oh I love your discription of a finger cot. LOL but you are right

I have been known to show up in the grocery store with a thimble on my finger. "senior moment'

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
    I hand quilt but I can't get the hang of thimbles or cots so I put clear nail polish (several thick coats) on my thumb and finger to give them a protective coat so they don't get sore.
    I'd wondered if nail polish would work but since I don't wear it, don't own any. Have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    I always hand quilt. once you master the art, it is rewarding.

I have been quilting for 3 years, mostly hand quilting. I use the "Underthimble" for my hand under the quilt and a leather thimble with the metal disk in it on top. The under thimble eliminated the sore finger. However, it is so comfortable when I finsh quilting I sometime forget I have it on my finger. I have lost a couple of them this way.

Hi, I love to hand quilt...it is a "meditation" of sorts time for me...I lived in a very small town in Iowa where a group of quilters(ages 62---97) met weekly and we quilted on a squared frame. That's where I learned. You are right that practice is the way to perfection once you know the method. Just be kind to yourself. I don't like a hard timble so I use the kind that glues onto your tip. Also, I am left-handed so I am sure some quilters find my position different??? But it works for me. I live in Missoula, Montana where there are lots of wonderful quilts created but they are all machine quilted....not for me. keep practicing. betsylou

Hi,
    What kind of YLI do you use? I'm going to take the plunge and piece something quickly so I can practice my hand quilting.
    Have loads of the stiff Coats and Clark stuff I bought long ago but would prefer to try this out.
    Thanks,
    lots2do
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyM
    The quilt tells me if I will hand or machine quilt. I took a hand quilting class a long time ago and it was well worth the money. I quilt on a hoop, use inbetween needles, and YLI thread which I absolutely love and I invested in a Roxanne thimble. The thimble is pretty pricey but I have yet to find a fabric I cannot push a needle through with it.

I work in payroll and during the months of December and January life is pretty crazy here at work so at night I would go home and hand quilt and it would reduce my stress level almost immediately.

JS
    I have always hand quilted.I might run a seam up on the machine, but I hand quilt everything, even full bed quilts. I love it and find it relaxing.

I recently took a class on the Thimblelady hand quilting method and really enjoyed it. It's much easier than the regular rocking method. You can google "Thimblelady" or her name is Liuxin Newman.

Blog Entries
    lfw045
    Could you tell us more about quilting without a frame? I have wanted to try that, but I am afraid my stitches will be pulled too tight or not tight enough. A teacher at local quilt shops quilts small items without a frame and teaches how she does it, but her classes have never been available when I could take it, or they were full. Do you do large quilts without a frame also?

Blog Entries
    Hand quilting is the only way I know how to quilt. It is a dieing art with all the new technology. there are several tips and pointers I could give you. Such as...hiding your knots. How to make a knot. How to use a rockin motion with your needle. How to use a hoop or a frame. The best size needle to use. Anything you'd like to know. I'll try to help. Ask me anything abot machine quilting and I'll tell you up front, I'm a dummy. I know nothing. Anything I can tell you tha wol help feel free to pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Hi,
    What kind of YLI do you use? I'm going to take the plunge and piece something quickly so I can practice my hand quilting.
    Have loads of the stiff Coats and Clark stuff I bought long ago but would prefer to try this out.
    Thanks,
    lots2doquote]
    Here is a link - it is stiff and doesn't knot up like other threads. It comes on a very large spool so you don't have to worry about running out

http://www.ylicorp.com/pdf/Hand_Quil...et_3-10-09.pdf

The only thing I do is hand-quilt. That's because I don't own a sewing machine, and never have. I probably wouldn't know how to turn one on let alone how to work it!!

I took a block I finished to show it off at Walmart to a couple of cash register women I know, and they were so impressed as my stiches were small and in straight lines from start to finish, they were utterly shocked that I didn't use a machine. But I can't use a machine, cause I don't have one!! I just started quilting last December, and have one done and 3 more I'm working on.

It's a real slow process, but fun to do. I just take my time.

I do both but unline most I learned hand quilting first...all my life actually. My mother and aunts had a quilting circle that met every Tues night when I was growning up. I was the needle threader! Now I am learning to machine quilt. Just learning but it's more of a time thing then the relaxation and enjoyment that I get from hand quilting. If there is ever anything I can help you with just PM me!!

I do hand and machine quilting both. I keep a project going. I also love to hand piece as well. It is just so lovely and relaxed. The piecing is much more accurate as well.

Thank you, Suzy, for the link. I'm going to be on the search for some once I stitch something up to use it on.
    :)lots2do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast