Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family? >

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I have one that I found in my folks house when they passed. I have no idea where it came from. It is not signed and I have never seen it before. I'm thinking it was from my step-dad's side, since no one in my family quilted except me.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I had about a lot of quilt tops that were made by my mother's mother or grandmother, that I found in my mother's things after she passed away. I gave my brother some, because his wife at that time sewed. He chose four that he wanted and she said she would finish them, she never did. When they divorced, I was going to finish them but they were no where to be found. We don't know if she gave them away, kept them or threw them away. She didn't know my grandmothers, so they meant nothing to her, but she was mean like that.
I completed three of the ones I kept and gave one to my husband, and one to each of my children. I have yet to finish the two for myself that I still have. I also have a quilt top of Sun Bonnet Sue that my grtgrandmother made for me when I was young. I have kept it in my cedar chest for years and have finally found fabric for the backing and hope to get it finished this summer, along with all of my other projects to do. If I get it done or the other two I will post picts. when I learn how to do that.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Oh! Pamela how lucky you are, would love to see them.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Crafty Bear I love the orange quilt, absolutely beautiful!!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM

I love this thread. It is just as good as going to a quilt show. I would like to add a couple pictures and think I finally got it figured out. I really like the one my mom made because it is not a typical grandma's flower garden. Both of these are mostly hand sewn. The blue one does have the binding sewn on by machine.

Made by my grandma before 1951
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75665[/ATTACH]

Made by my Mom circa 1930
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75751[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75660.jpe   attachment-75746.jpe  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I don't have any quilts from any one in the family - no quilters. I do have a whole trunk full of crocheted pieces that my grandmother made and several dresser scarves that my mother hand embroidered. I also have a bunch of handkerchiefs that my grandmother crocheted the borders on - some of the borders are two and three inches wide - absolutely beautiful.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM

damaquilts, Who made the sashings? If your grandmother did, I would leve them, that makes it even more special, knowing that a loved one took the time and effort to make it.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 PM

This one (yellow with embroidered flowers) is just exquisite!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I have one my grandmother made in the 1930's. It is a huge starburst pattern all hand sewn.I do not use it on my beds.
But on a weird funny note. My mom made my 2 sons quilts out of blue skiing design polyester and flannel backing in the mid 70's. My boys used their quilts up until the time they had their first child. Now both sets of granddaughters still use these same quilts to sleep with. Needless to say they have been restitched by myself, the other grandmother and or a babysitter or two.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 PM

I have my great grandmothers quilt top (not finished) made out of my great grandfathers silk ties. Some of the material is disingigrating as it was stored in my grandmother's cedar chest. I also have a few squares that she made to complete this quilt top.

The other quilt top is a beautiful star made by my grandmother made. It's a turquoise blue and the star is made up with many different colors. Another work in progress that I must finish.