Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you have that battery operated bias machine??!

Have you seen them??The ad says it will make 250 ft of bias for you! I just ironed some the old fashioned way w/ a clover bias maker and an iron...and, I was 'thinking'.......if that puppy really works...that could be a great thing!! Could have oogles of stems ready to be appliqued!! It also says 'not for professional use'....now that does scare me?! Does that mean 'good for one use only'??LOL Skeat

Don't know the 'who' these people are, but, here's a pic of what I am talking about....not sure you could go ahead and make your own tape by the time you loaded this..again, not sure...anyone? Go to: http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22656-2366.htm if you want to see what it looks like

Don't ask me why that isn't working now....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Don't ask me why that isn't working now....!!
    Why isn't that working now? (sorry, couldn't help myself) :lol: :lol:

Still not working for me...shows 'in error'...so, I am trying again...can anyone else see this??Go to: http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22656-0094.html

Blog Entries
    Is this the one?
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22656.html

I'm thinking it would team up nicely with this strip cutter:
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22657.html

Pricey, though.......

When I use the Clover thingie I place large pins in the ironing board to guide the strip as it comes out (so I don't burn my fingers too). Basically my iron sits between the pins and I just pull the strip under the iron. I honestly don't find it hard to do that way. Are you by any chance ironing the tape straight out of the thingie without pin guides?

You know Prism99...I live on the edge!!:)The iron's edge that is for sure!!:)No....I didn't know anything about a pin guide!! Great idea!! I don't have any fingerprints left!! I have been making bias for a class in stain glass...:)I did watch their video on this on the next page....very intersting! But, they don't have any tips except the 1"....who needs just one size??Should be sold w/it at that price! Oh, well....One can wait to hear the testimonials:)Skeat

Well isn't that just the bees knees!! Too pricey for me though I am sure that it would be handy for some.

Blog Entries
    Okay, that explains the burned fingers. BTDT.

I use long straight pins. Basically you have to nip a little of the ironing board cover, expose enough of the pin so that the folded bias tape will fit under it, and nip a little more of the ironing board so the pin remains secure. Place your iron so you know where to place the second pin. You do have to iron the first foot or so that comes out of the bias tape maker with the finger-burning technique; however, once you have enough bias tape, you just thread it under the two pins, place your iron on top, and pull the bias tape underneath the iron; it will be coming under the iron right out of the bias tape maker. You can lift up your iron if necessary.

Assuming your bias strips have been sewn together, you can make yards of bias tape this way very easily. The hardest part is getting that first foot of tape ironed. I just make sure to pull the strip through steadily -- not so fast that anything is going to get out of shape, but not so slow that I risk burning the fabric.

Oh. I should mention that I also heavily starch the fabric before cutting it into bias strips. However, you don't have to do this. If unstarched, I would probably be lifting up the iron more to make sure I wouldn't be stretching the bias out of shape; might work without doing that, though.

Very helpful tidbits on this!! I admit it!! I am a 'V' bias tape maker!!:)Hey...first for everything!! Do I baste my made bias tape??I debated this in my very own and long conversation at the ironing board once I removed my fingers from the iron!! I spray starched as I went...oops...:)Such great and helpful hints!! I did wrap it on a cardboard to keep it flat....Skear which migh be my new name as it hurz to hit that key w/that darn sore finger!

Oh, and a foot of bias??I was proud of my 12"...:)Do you press seam open??I am thinking this would work better then the way I did it....to the side

If I'm making a 1" wide tape, I cut my strip 2" wide, finger fold in half, using this crease to place a 1" wide strip of freezer paper down the center of strip.
    Iron the sides in, eyeballing it evenly, pull off freezer paper...ta da!
    no fancy expensive machine needed. :D

I bought the strip cutter, tried it out and returned it. It was a piece of junk, in my humble opinion. There is no way to keep the strips perfectly straight as they pass through the cutter, so the strips are not a uniform size. Don't waste your time or money on it. It would have been great if it worked well, though.

Blog Entries
    I have the bias maker. I have no control when it comes to quilting goodies. It works great. I'm waiting for the 2 1/2 tip to be available for it this month. It's fast and folds and heat sets the strip perfectly. It folds straight binding too. Sure saves time. I spent a couple of hours one afternoon turning a jelly roll into miles of 1/2 straight binding.
    The strip cutter is not for accurate cutting, I saw that right off when I tried one out and had no use for it for quilting. Now for rag crochet/rug/knitting it would be fantastic. A real time saver.

I saw that someone was selling this little thing you could put on your finger to protect it from the iron, looked closely and realized that looks just like the "Ove-Glove" that you use in the kitchen. Much cheaper way to save your fingers and you can get it at your local Walgreens, CVS, Walmart.....

Blog Entries
    Very helpful tidbits on this!! I admit it!! I am a 'V' bias tape maker!!:)Hey...first for everything!! Do I baste my made bias tape??I debated this in my very own and long conversation at the ironing board once I removed my fingers from the iron!! I spray starched as I went...oops...:)Such great and helpful hints!! I did wrap it on a cardboard to keep it flat....Skear which migh be my new name as it hurz to hit that key w/that darn sore finger!
    You mean your cut strips have the "V" in them? Or that your bias tape isn't even?

I have never basted bias tape I have made with the Clover tips, but then the pre-starching I do before cutting the strips tends to keep the ironed folds in place. I honestly don't see a reason to baste bias strips except maybe to hand-baste flowers stems to the background, and then you would be basting through both the tape and the background at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and a foot of bias??I was proud of my 12"...:)Do you press seam open??I am thinking this would work better then the way I did it....to the side
    I'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing I am, which is bias tape with each side folded to the center, made with the Clover bias tape maker. For the first foot or so, I iron the tape carefully as it comes out of the thingie. The first couple of inches are not so good and need to be cut off, but after that the folds are very uniform. The reason I use the pins as a guide are (1) to stop burning my fingers, and (2) because it is much faster.

I'm wondering if you are talking about a different method of making bias tape -- where you cut strips, sew cut edges together with wrong sides facing, then press so the seam is in the center of the strip (maybe by inserting bias tape bars through the tube). I tried this method a long time ago and found it very laborious and time-consuming. The Clover bias tape makers are much faster for me.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Ok I am gonna ask a really dumn question. Just remember I am fairly new to all the sewing/quilting stuff. What is the difference between bias tape and binding??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    Ok I am gonna ask a really dumn question. Just remember I am fairly new to all the sewing/quilting stuff. What is the difference between bias tape and binding??
    Bias tape is used for applique. There are different ways of making it. The one I make with the Clover bias tape maker folds each edge in to meet at the center. Bias tape is commonly used for the curving stems of flowers and for the "lead" in stained glass quilting. There are other ways of making or applying bias tape, but basically it is used whenever you need long, narrow curves in a design. This is because fabric cut on the bias has some stretch and"give" to it, so it can be manipulated around curves. Bias tape is typically not used to bind quilts because there would be only a single layer of fabric at the quilt's edge (at least, made the way I make it with a Clover bias tape maker), and the edge is what gets the most wear so you want something strong there.

Binding for quilts can be bias or can be straight-grain.

Double-fold bias binding is considered the strongest application because there is no single thread running along the edge, which gets the most wear. The binding's edge is composed of criss-crossing threads because the strips were cut on the bias, and there is a double layer of fabric in case the first layer gets worn through. (This is the "double-fold" part of double-fold bias binding.) Bias binding is necessary if the edge of the quilt is curved (for example, scallops) because it can bend around curves. For straight edges, the quilter has the choice of bias binding or straight grain bnding.

The most common binding these days is double-fold straight grain because it is the easiest to cut and apply and requires less fabric than bias. It is applied just the same as double-fold bias binding, but the strips are cut on the straight-of-grain rather than on the bias.

Straight-grain binding can also be applied as a single layer (single-fold straight grain binding), but that is much less common; it would be even weaker than using bias tape because the single layer of fabric would be on the straight-of-grain, meaning a single thread running along the length of the binding would likely get worn through relatively fast.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Thank for the great explaination. I truly appreciate it.

I tell you what....I was a bias making queen today!! I was so out of control and here's the big helpful hint that was suggested.....starch!!!!!!!!!
    And, I pressed open the seams...and, I have miles and miles of bias....thought since I have so much I could tie an end to my mailbox w/a bucket hanging so the mailman can drop my mail in it and let it slide back home:)The starch made such a huuuuge difference in making the bias cooperate like it should!!:)Thank-you!! Was a whole different world at the ironing board today!!:)My applique thanks you....so do my fingertips!!Skeat

Blog Entries
    I tell you what....I was a bias making queen today!! I was so out of control and here's the big helpful hint that was suggested.....starch!!!!!!!!!
    And, I pressed open the seams...and, I have miles and miles of bias....thought since I have so much I could tie an end to my mailbox w/a bucket hanging so the mailman can drop my mail in it and let it slide back home:)The starch made such a huuuuge difference in making the bias cooperate like it should!!:)Thank-you!! Was a whole different world at the ironing board today!!:)My applique thanks you....so do my fingertips!!Skeat
    That's great! :D Are you using the Clover bias tape maker :?: Because, if you are, I still have no clue about what seam you are pressing open. Or are you using pressing bars? An inquiring mind wants to know......

That's great! :D Are you using the Clover bias tape maker :?: Because, if you are, I still have no clue about what seam you are pressing open. Or are you using pressing bars? An inquiring mind wants to know......[/quote]

I am sewing my bias strips together so I have a never ending strip....the instructions sugg. you to press to one side or open...well, I tried pressing the seam to the side...and, HA! It gets almost stuck in the clover bias maker:)So, pressed them open....pressed the pooh out of them w/starch...strip and seam...and they slid thru like butter!! All even and they look sharp!!And, I run the iron sideways at the edge of my clover bias maker (sounds important to say it that way!LOL)as I am pulling the little bias maker to the left...all is beautiful!! Then I wrapped my bias beautiful strips to some old thread spools and others that were bigger on a small piece of think cardboard....yehaw!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, duh!, thank you for explaining that! Forgot all about having to join the strips (smacks forehead in amazement). :lol: