Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have a design wall & if so how did you make it? >
  • Do you have a design wall & if so how did you make it?

• Do you have a design wall & if so how did you make it?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
    Google Goddess

Do you have a design wall and if so how did you make it? I am wanting to have a design wall but have limited space.

Do you have any pictures of your design walls?
    Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Mine is a 4x4 sheet of luann wood (thin plywood). Home Depot has it for $12.00 a sheet. I covered it with an old blanket for padding then covered that with anti pill fleece. And my Husband attached it to the wall with a few screws.

design wall
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]34285[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-34285.jpe  
    Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM

I live in a senior apartment complex so don't have a lot of room. I did take a 4x4 piece of foam core board and covered it with flannel and it seems to work good for me. Broomhilda (site manager) would have a coronary if I drilled holes in the walls. I know my wall is small but the bedroom I use is small also.
    Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM

I used 3/4" 4x6 foam core board from Home depot. covered it in flannel, hung it on the wall with 3M removable velcro hooks. It was less than $20. The nice thing about foam core board insulation, it is really light weight, which mean you don't have to damage you wall to hang it and you can also pin to it with straight pins.

Easy to make.
    Old 05-02-2010, 11:43 AM

I am limited on space and also have small children so what I did is bought a polyester double bed blanket from walmart for $6 and used that. I can pin it to the wall, lay it on the floor AND I can roll it up with quilt pieces inside and put it away out of the way until Im ready to roll it out again.
    Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
    I used 3/4" 4x6 foam core board from Home depot. covered it in flannel, hung it on the wall with 3M removable velcro hooks. It was less than $20. The nice thing about foam core board insulation, it is really light weight, which mean you don't have to damage you wall to hang it and you can also pin to it with straight pins.

Easy to make.
    Sorry, if this is a stupid question...How do you attach the board to the hooks, do the hooks come with corresponding "loop" or "eye" that attach to the board? Thanks, hope you understand my question!!
    Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM

I bought 3 sheets of foam insulation 4'x8'. cut one in half length wise. taped 1/2 to one full size board so it measured 6'x8'. The other I cut both pieces (the 2'x8' & 4'x8') down to 6' tall and then taped them together with duct tape. I don't attach mine to the wall because I like to use both sides since I am usually working on several projects at once. Also, I can move them into the bedroom when I have a lot of company to get them out of the way.
    Old 05-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
    Originally Posted by shaverg

Easy to make.
    Sorry, if this is a stupid question...How do you attach the board to the hooks, do the hooks come with corresponding "loop" or "eye" that attach to the board? Thanks, hope you understand my question!!
    Not stupid at all. The 3M command picture hanging strips are two pieces one piece goes on your board and one on the wall. The stuff that 3M uses allows you to remove them from the wall without damage. Make sure you check the package and get the ones made to be removed and don't stick permanent. They are the command ones, you can find them almost anywhere. Especially office or hardware store.

I hope this helps.
    Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM

I just have some thin batting push pinned to the wall. If pieces start to want to fall off, I just pin them to it. I forget how big a piece I have up.
    Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM

All I did was buy a large amount of batting and hung it on the wall. A friend has one and she added some of those metal circles to the batting at the top and then hooked hers with cup hooks, works great.