Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have this machine? >

Do you have this machine?

Do you have this machine?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Default Do you have this machine?

Hi quilters! A friend of mine is wanting to sell her Kenmore Computerized 385.19606 Sewing Machine. I am interested in purchasing it because I would like to use it for making Quilt Labels as she said it can do fonts. Do any of you own this machine and can quilt labels be made with it. I have never owned a computerized machine. It also has many other Deco Stitches. Please help me to decide. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Kenmores were made by Janome for Sears. I hated to see them be discontinued. Kenmore use to be made by New Home that became Janome. The top of the line Kenmore was the same as the top of the line Janome and for 1/4 the price. I would ask to see the lettering as sewn. My older Bernina will do fonts but it is hard to keep the text aligned. It will be a great machine to have. Here is review of the 385.http://thesewingmachinelady.com/sear...achine-review/
Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 PM

I have a Kenmore 385.19233 That I purchased in 2012 from AllBrands Sewing. It is computerized and has over 66 decorative stitches and i can do some letters like names. I have not worked with too many letters such as phases so I wouldn't be the person to recommend this model for Quilt labels. I tried to look at a picture of the 10606 model but was not able to see one to compare with what I have..

I will continue to search for a picture. But for all sewing, I love my "Kathrine".
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Yes, that is the machine I have...http://thesewingmachinelady.com/sear...achine-review/
yet I don't know if it differs from your 385.19606
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM

I have a Janome which is similar. I use the fonts to make labels on satin ribbon and set them into the binding. Looks neat and very permanent.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

I would check out the fonts on the Kenmore first. On my older Bernina 1530, the font lettering isn't as good as I had hoped.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would check out the fonts on the Kenmore first. On my older Bernina 1530, the font lettering isn't as good as I had hoped.
That's what I am wondering, I would like to be able to print out a regular label, not on a ribbon. I did watch the video that was posted for the 19233, but this is a model 19606. Have not been able to find a video for the 19606, not even sure how old this model is?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Gay

I don't have this machine, but have found a free manual download. The script instructions begin at page 130.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/563...age=130#manual

As the 3 fonts are only higher case, no small case, will you be satisfied with that for labels perhaps with a decorative stitch round the edge? I know I would want more, but then I'm an avid embroiderer with bigger machines. Also, sometimes I prefer to make up a nice label on the computer and print on treated fabric.

Just voicing my thoughts, you may not want more, but I would like to see the machine in action and how well it stitches out the fonts and decorative stitches before buying.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 AM
KR

Have you asked your friend to demo the machine for you? To see if it will do what you want it to do?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Thank you all for the video and finding the Manual. I will be asking my friend to give me a demo before I commit.