Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a price limit?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    No limit except what's in my pocketbook.

Blog Entries
    My limit.....I do not pay full price what ever that is. I'm a scrappy quilter so not as picky on fabric choices.

Being in the Pacific, finding fabric for less than $5 can be difficult. Though I always look for the sales, discounted or remnants, if I really love the fabric on the bolt, I will pay as much as $10 a yard but that is a fabric I have to absolutely love and have to have. I refuse to pay more than $10 a yard and seldom shy away from looking at the LQS or the expensive fabric stores.

Blog Entries
    I try to keeo my fabrics at about $3.00/yd I have on ocassion bought higher priced fabric when its for someone special - (I was going to make my brother a STL cardinals quilt for his spare room but I backed out couldnt really see the price - went with an older fashion prints with baseball one with bats ome with baseball gloves and one with little stars-may do some kind of embroidery block with it ) I have all the fabric just no time lol Wanted it for xmas but he may have to wait for his bd in Feb!!!

I must admit that I am very delicate with my fabric choices. I always try to find material that works best for my hand quilting and this is of course not the cheapest one.
    I try to find solids of my favourite brands for under 10 Euros per meter - this is about 12 $ a yard. My price limit for printed cottons is 16 Euros per meter/23 $ per yard! As you see there is a big difference in the prices between US and Germany....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I must admit that I am very delicate with my fabric choices. I always try to find material that works best for my hand quilting and this is of course not the cheapest one.
    I try to find solids of my favourite brands for under 10 Euros per meter - this is about 12 $ a yard. My price limit for printed cottons is 16 Euros per meter/23 $ per yard! As you see there is a big difference in the prices between US and Germany....
    I sure couldnt afford to shop there!!! I bet you might be able to get quality fabric her on board alot cheaper even at high shipping costs!!

I definitely look at cost and more so then ever. I have been by passing or buying just a smaller key piece of fabric. Once it hits the $9-10 range I most likely leave the fabric or only get a small piece. This means I mostly shop off the sales shelf at the LQS or look online for $6 or lower a yard. I am also buying more tone on tone, solid, Civil War and 1930 because they seem less time sensative fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by emsgranny
    I sure couldnt afford to shop there!!! I bet you might be able to get quality fabric her on board alot cheaper even at high shipping costs!!
    Yes, this is probably right... but I'm lucky to buy some of my materials at the wholesalers. We own a little online shop here and buy our material a the wholesaler.

And, to be honest: I try to support our German quilt shops as well... I think you understand this!

:wink: ;)

$8,50 for a really sweet fabric is not unreasonable. I would fortify THAT fabric with others in the $6-$7 range. Plus, I shop sales so some things that are "on their way out" are first quality but $4 a yard.

Batik? It would have to be REALLY stunning to get in the $8-$9 range. Otherwise, $6-$7 for everyday use.

when i buy quilt shop fabric i expect to pay 8-9$. i seldom buy just because but i do try to buy a little extra of what i need. i like to applique and my mom does scrap quilts so she seldom has to shop!i usually shop online because i live a very long way from ANYWHERE so i buy enough to get free shipping

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The only fabric I've (so far) declined purchasing because of price alone is the most gorgeous faux chinchilla that my LQS has had for quite some time now (they're on their second bolt so it IS selling). Talk about a fabric worthy of fondling!! It's 54" wide and sells for $35 a yard. *sigh*
    That would make a fabulous throw! I've seen super soft fake fur throws sell for over $100 and some as high as $400 or more. Two yards for $70 is a bargain when compared to what you pay for ready made.

Blog Entries
    My fabric purchases are all over the place. I just paid in the $9 range for fabrics for a special quilt, but that's a first. I've paid that for apparel, but not for quilting. I can keep it around $4 by using coupons and sales. A limit?? I would hope the $9.49 is a max.

My most expensive purchase - $99.99 a yard for fabric that was not even 40 inches wide. Even at half price, it was $50 a yard. Not for a quilt - the bodice and sleeves of a wedding dress. I laid the pattern out and knew to the inch how much I needed, but with those 1990 puffed sleeves, it was over a yard and half. Luckily, it was small size. Beautiful stuff - hand beaded with iridescent beads. The sewing machine found it interesting, but my Elna will sew anything.

My new abrupt retirement and limited income will change some things - maybe I'll get my stash back to one room.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The only fabric I've (so far) declined purchasing because of price alone is the most gorgeous faux chinchilla that my LQS has had for quite some time now (they're on their second bolt so it IS selling). Talk about a fabric worthy of fondling!! It's 54" wide and sells for $35 a yard. *sigh*
    That would make a fabulous throw! I've seen super soft fake fur throws sell for over $100 and some as high as $400 or more. Two yards for $70 is a bargain when compared to what you pay for ready made.
    Yeah, I dream of making a throw from it and snuggling up on the couch, and I'm sure the cat would demand one all for her very own as well. I'll probably grab a couple yards as a birthday gift to myself next year. I can only covet something for so long before I give in to it! :roll: One of the LQS ladies actually used it for the BACK of a quilt! Employee discount no doubt. :lol:

Blog Entries
    What is the name of the Hoffman cardinal fabric? I searched, but don't think it came up (or perhaps I didn't recognize it).

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Hoffman only gives their fabrics numbers, not names... the pattern number is 8821. This is the cream/gold colorway (33G) but it does come on dark green and also black... and they did a tonal gray one too this year.

http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...on&key=HFCARDJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

I try to stay under $10 a meter, but I have paid up to $12/meter before. I usually stock up on fabric when there are sales since otherwise I can't really justify purchasing fabric that can be up to $20/meter around here.

$10.00 I think is the highest I have paid, and then I didn't get a full yard. One time i splurged and bought 2.5 yds at 10.00, but I felt horrible afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by quilter68
    On average, my price limit has passed.

That being said, I just went to your site and saw the perfect paisleys. What to do, what to do!
    Oh, aren't they just beautiful! I will have to order some I do try to stay under $10 a yard, but I almost always buy on sale

I have a price point of $10 a yard. I just cannot bring myself to pay more than that - there is just no fabric above that price that is worth it to me. Below it, I love it all! :)

I like really high quality fabric, so know I need to pay more for it. Most of what I buy is between $7.50 and $9 a yard, I would guess. But I love a bargain as much the next quilter, and tend to buy backings when I find a good price.

Blog Entries
    I bought a $16 piece of hand-printed giraffe fabric but I would consider that a "special" purchase in small quantities. Generally I delight in getting sales and if I like it a lot, then I pay the $10/yard fee.

My resolve will be put to the test when I go to Germany in March. My friend has promised to take me to an LQS and I can't not buy something. We'll see.....

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever bought anything over $10/yd., and very little of that. I like to keep in the $5-7 range if possible, mostly by waiting for sales.

i won't pay more than $6 a yard. there's many online shops that still have this pricing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Im with Carrie. I very seldom buy yardage though. I might get some for borders or binding,but eveything else is sraps,as a rule.

I start to get nervous over $9. I am trying to stash bust as much as possible.

If I really, really love it, I would go over $10.00. I usually buy on sale, & on line. Just gots tons of fabric @ 2.75 a yard plus shipping at the Cotton Loft. I also check out the sale & red tag at Joann's. And absolutely do not miss a good sale at the LQS.

But on the whole, I rarely pay over $6 per yard. And only if I need something to complete a quilt. And in that case I buy only what I need for that project.

Most of my sewing is charity quilts or items for charity fundraisers (aprons, etc).

If a special gift for a family member or close friend, I'd pay top dollar if it was what I wanted.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast