Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Do you have a price limit?

I rarely go over $7.98 a yard for designer fabric. If I do it must be something I want very badly. I usually wait until it hits fabric.com and then use a 20% off coupon.

I quit buying batiks :(

PS.. at the moment I am on a spending freeze so I am buying nothing until my stash is at least 50% reduced.

I'm a new quilter and have been very tempted by the kits that they put together in my LQS. I have bought a few full price that I had to have, but one store puts them on 40% off when it's the last one. So several of them have come home with me at 40% off - that is hard to resist. The owner of that particular shop though told me that cotton prices are going up next year due to several cotton crops being destroyed due to weather - I think flooding.

No, i buy the good stuff when i get gift certificates, so i don't feel guilty about spending it

I am going to sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. For the last two years we have had a drastically reduced income, so I am very selective when I buy quilting things, fabric etc... I really look for bargins. But... I would rather have 1 yard of a fabric that I LOVE, than 3 yards of a fabric that is "nice". So I guess my answer is yes, and no.

You have integrity and honesty. Can't find fault with that.

I do have a price limit; however, I will watch it until it goes on sale and try and get it then.

I'm just that way.....have a limit on everything I buy, very rarely do I cross my limit.

Banned
    As some of you know I don't piece so buy q/tops already made from USA, usually making my quilts to sell in aid of dog rescue so I have to watch what I pay for top/batting/backing ,have paid max for rescue, 24 for a decent size top BUT did buy a single queen size Amish style log cabin for myself , this was 38 and $25 postage.

I buy from Ebay America because the fabrics are so much cheaper than in Australia. I like the ones around $2.99 - $3.99 per yard. The cheapest fabric you can buy here is at Spotlight for $9.99 per metre (not much choice in that price range), but most are $12.99 to $19.99 but up to $35.00 in LQS

I don't spend that much anymore. I try to only do sales and even then set myself a less than $50 price limit--and that's if I'm really splurging. I already have a significant stash. Saving for my son's college education is much more important. The high I get when we receive his fund statement is actually greater than what I'd get from fabric anyway.

Hi Favorite Fabrics from Marion and John in Western Australia. Our prices are much higher than those in the US. I won't go over Aus$28 per metre, and even then won't buy more than a metre at that price. I do love a bargain, and we do have some good sales. There is a general textile store chain here (Textile Traders) which sells all kinds of fabric, including some top range quilters cottons, and every now and then they have a "buy two, get one free" week. I buy all my backing for quilts at that time, plus batting.

Love your site, love your service, and love your prices!! Hope you keep going forever.

Best wishes, Marion and John

I don't really have an upper limit, although I will research for the best-lowest price if there is a particular fabric I want. When I am actively shopping, I will always look for the "sale" fabrics first. I am usually looking for a color so I will search the sale racks before I buy anything. I also look for coupons, every penny counts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Nope. Not if it's something I really, really want. If it's really expensive I might rework the pattern or pick a different pattern that requires less of it but in the end, no I don't.

Now this should be tempered with the fact that most of my fabrics are purchased on sale, at garage sales, off Craigslist and from Goodwill.
    What she said!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marion T
    Hi Favorite Fabrics from Marion and John in Western Australia...

Love your site, love your service, and love your prices!! Hope you keep going forever.

Best wishes, Marion and John
    Thank you so much for the compliments! I really appreciate your kind words.

Fortunately, I live near some Mennonite shops, so shop there. Prices there are between $6 and $6.75. They also have a sale once a year when everything is 20percent off, but the lines are crazy!!

There are also several great online sources for reasonably priced, brand name fabrics. Whittles and fabric.com are my favs. That said, even Hancock's of Paducah has good clearance sales sometimes.

Bit if I love something... All bets are off!

My upper limit is $5 / yard. I buy most of my fabrics when I can get them on clearance at $3 or less.

Unfortunately for my wallet ... if I gotta have it ... I gotta have it. I do try to buy on sale or use coupons or take advantage of free shipping etc. but still, if I have totally fallen in love with something ... I grin and bear it.

Susan

If I like/love a fabric I usually buy it. I buy about 2 yards. Prices have gone up so much and if there is a sale I wil buy more.

I have spent up to 14.99 a yard, but that was unusual and it was for 120 wide for a quilt back. I also like to try to keep it low, but it just depends on the fabric and if it is perfect for the project in mind. I also like to stay around $5 a yard when possible.

I really do have a limit. I think that ten dollars a yard is absolutly enough to pay but in the past I have went over that if they had a sale.

quilting cotton is 17,00$ a meter up here...i would NEVER pay that for it....i only buy on sale and look for about 6,00$ a meter....but can`t afford to buy anything for quite a while....my furnace broke down a couple weeks ago so have to pay for that first!!! darn!!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    With all the many discussions that have been on the forum in the past year about prices, may I ask if you have an upper price threshold for buying fabrics, that you will not cross?

And - because we all have different budgetary considerations - I would be delighted if everyone would feel free to answer without worrying about whether someone else thinks that their number is too high or too low.

That said, do you have a price limit? Or three - for regular cotton, batiks, and backings?

Non-US quilters, feel free to answer, too. We all know your numbers will be different than ours.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    With all the many discussions that have been on the forum in the past year about prices, may I ask if you have an upper price threshold for buying fabrics, that you will not cross?

And - because we all have different budgetary considerations - I would be delighted if everyone would feel free to answer without worrying about whether someone else thinks that their number is too high or too low.

That said, do you have a price limit? Or three - for regular cotton, batiks, and backings?

Non-US quilters, feel free to answer, too. We all know your numbers will be different than ours.
    :wink: O.K. you did it, I had to look at the site. Of course I then saw some fabric that I needed (did I say needed, I guess I should have said wanted) for my House BOM Blocks that I am doing for this board. I did purchase smaller amounts on some but was very glad to see a few patterns that I haven't seen. I guess I would have to say that I am willing to pay more for something that I really want. I am going to stop buying, at least stop looking for a couple of days. Thank You BrendaK

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6