Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a price limit? >

Do you have a price limit?

Do you have a price limit?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I wont pay anymore than $10/yd .. $10 is my limit.. I do charity quilts as well.. However for family and gifts I will pay more if its a fabric I absolutely need for their quilt..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 PM

I buy in meters, so get a little more for my money.
$16.99 per meter is a good price
$18.99 per meter is normal
$21.99 per meter is getting pricey but if I need that particular fabric, I still buy it.
Buying below $16.99/m makes me want to jump up and down.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM

If I really love a piece, I will buy it. Sometimes I just need that special fabric to add pizzazz to a quilt. I truly am a bargain shopper but if the right thing comes along I can go overboard!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 AM

I once bought 1/2 yard of $20 a yard fabric. Notice I said "ONCE". It was so beautiful I just had to have some. I hung it on a quilt rack for a long time and finally used it in a gift for my DD. I knew she would love it too.
Now in reality--I try to buy on sale as much as possible. Our LQS has some really good clearance sales, so thats where I pick up most of what I buy. If I really need a piece I will go to $8 for small pieces. If I get really desperate for a certain color, I will dye the piece I need.
Our LQS is trying hard to keep the prices down, but with overhead of running the business, we all understand they have to make a profit or they will go out of business.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 AM

I have a tight budget so I try to stay in the $5.00 or less range. I look for fabric on sale or clearance and then buy. I often buy fabric after a holiday for the next year. If I really, really, really like a fabric and/or want to use it for a special person or project, I'll go higher. I recently bought a fabric on-line that I couldn't find anything close by and paid more than I would have locally but it's for a memory quilt for my mom and just is so "Momma". That's about the only exception to my budget. I have changed my mental plan on a project because the fabric was too pricey for me.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 AM

I was just thinking - fat quarters are from $1.29 up to, and I have paid, $2.50, which makes it $5.00 to $10.00 a yard. One doesn't think too much buying a fat quarter, but buying a yard of fabric for $10.00 is just ridiculous. Au Contraire - You just bought four fat quarters - how much was that? Five to Ten dollars. So if I see a yard of fabric that I really want, I'll just skip four fat quarters. That wasn't hard now. I can get the fat quarters another time.

If the fabric is so important to you, for whatever reason, and you CAN afford it, get it. It may be your only chance. It may not be at the LQS or JAF (JoAnn Fab) the next time you are there. I paid $8.99 a yard for 11 yards of material - three different fabrics for a quilt. I just may not have enough. I was green enough not to think there would be waste or that I could work myself silly and not get a block to come together and have to deep six the block. That is a fat quarter right there. I have 12 blocks made and 36 to go - 12" blocks.

I have a call into the quilt shop which is about 350 miles away and I just may have to order either from someplace else or make the quilt smaller which I do not want to do, unless I make a humungous border and I don't want to do that because then I will always see "Dummy, you didn't buy enough material." And it is something I should have known. Edie
Old 12-11-2010, 04:40 AM

No... I have spent $20/yard on Japanese Daiwabo handwoven fabric which I used in quilting/clothing/handbags and would do it again... I love that fabric! (I have spent $30/yard on home dec fabric when I reupholstered furniture.)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 AM

Because I sell my quilts I need to make a profit. That said, I mainly buy on sale or wholesale. If I see a fabric I just HAVE to have, I'll sometimes buy a small piece just for ME. $12 a yard is just too high for me! $9.00 is my limit right now.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 AM

I know this is a difficult time for both quilters and shop owners I have always been one to buy from Quilt shops as I preferred their fabric and service classes and etc. I still do but have had to cut back but mostly I have cut back on books, patterns and magazines those we can borrow and or trade with friends also I make more lap size quilts and smaller things
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by susiequilt
My very first online fabric purchase was bought from you several years ago! I agonized over the price so much. $8.50 yd if I remember right. Hoffmans Christmas Cardinals with coordinating fabric. I even had you measuring the distance between the birds! You were so patient with me! I'll always remember that great customer service.
:-D
Well, thank you for your kind words, Susiequilt! You know, Hoffman is *still* printing that wonderful cardinal fabric. I think that there was a quilt pattern out that called for fussy-cutting the cardinals, and people wanted to know how many bird squares you could get out of a yard.

BTW we only raised the price a dime/yard since you bought it. We - and a lot of other shops out there - are doing all we can to keep quilting affordable.
If it is something that I just have to have I really don't worry about the price. If it something that I just want I won't pay more than $10/yd, if it is just something that I think will look good in my stash then I try to stay between $8 & $9/yd.