Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a price limit? >

Do you have a price limit?

Do you have a price limit?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 PM

[quote=Favorite Fabrics]Hoffman only gives their fabrics numbers, not names... the pattern number is 8821. This is the cream/gold colorway (33G) but it does come on dark green and also black... and they did a tonal gray one too this year.

The Hoffman fabrics website had a snow globe pattern as well as other patterns using their fabric. I made the globe using some of their fabrics including the cardinal fabric. You can see it here

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73276-1.htm
Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM

No but have a great stash that mostly still like a lot so hope to ride out high prices with out too many new purchases, but sometimes need to get something to finish a project.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:27 PM

No limit.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM

I went on a trip to Tasmania. I of course had to go to LQS. Little did I know that the fabric there was $29.00 a yard!!! BUT I just had to have something to remember my trip so I bought a couple of fat quarters.
So I guess my answer is $29.00 a yard. Ouch!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM

You quilters in the USA are so lucky.Here in Australia we pay up to $30 a metre (39inches).I try to buy most of mine from the cheaper stores at around $12,or when the sales are on it is $10
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM

So far, the most I have spent(I think) per yard is $10.95 for a large Japanese print with cats that I couldn't leave behind. If a quilt requires specific fabrics like alot of the patterns in the current quilt magazines, I will try to rework it with Joann's fabrics or just not do it. I have bought kits that are over $100 and quilt shop BOMs with sashing kits, etc... that are usually in the $300 range total with the cost spread out over time. I usually top out supplies on a quilt to approximately $100-150 for the top/binding, batting is usually $20 (use coupons at Joanns) and $40 for backing(use 108inch wide muslin). I use grey thread for all piecing (colored for applique of course) which I buy in bulk. Quilting thread depends and usually tops out at $10-15. These costs are approximate since I think I would faint if I actually costed everything out as I did it.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm not sure I have a price per yard limit although I am trying to stay below the $10.99/yd stuff. But it depends on whether I have a specific project in mind or if I just simply like it and have to have some. I just spent $85 to make a 60 X 72 quilt (for the top only). I liked the fabric and so I really didn't look at the price per yard. But when I started cutting and piecing it I decided that one of the fabrics just didn't look right. It was one of those $10/yd stuff but I picked it out and luckily I had something in my stash that worked to replace it. Now that fabric I took out is set aside. Who knows what I will do with the pieces? I do look for sales but I also look for quality. I've traded fabrics and given away stuff and not thought about how much money was involved. I'm pretty generous with my fabrics and if a friend needs something I gladly offer it up knowing that if I need she will do the same. I don't shop on line as much as I'd like because I want to touch it & hold it next to other fabrics and so on. But I have on occasion found a fabric in a shop and then ordered it on line instead. When it comes to backings I generally do not use quiltshop fabrics. This is where I shop at Joanne's or on line for the best deals.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:52 PM

I try to have a limit of $9.50. I buy on sale and on line. I'm like a few other people if I really like it I will use it as the focal fabric and work around it. I have gone over the limit if I just fell in love. Then it is a special quilt. With the times like they are I'm more conservative. Try to buy at our LQS so they stay in business.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM

In Australia fabric is MUCH dearer! Usually quilting fabric is in the A$20-25 per metre, and very special fabrics are up to A$40 per metre. One has to think about how much one really needs.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I generally buy stuff I like when it is on sale - especially when it is 50% off. (Which means we are sometimes still paying $10 - $16 per metre). One of my local quilt shops generally has a reasonable price, compared to others, on his fabric. He also allows me to buy on lay-by. If you don't have that in the 'States, it is a method of time- payment where the shopkeeper holds the goods whilst you pay it off in instalments. You generally have about 8 weeks to pay, and then you pick up the goods. He is a good businessman, as he gives me unsolicited discounts from time to time because I shop often in his place and it is incentive for me to come back.
To answer your question more accurately - I would not pay more than the $26 per metre. Some fabrics are $75 per metre, but not in the shop I was speaking of.