Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u >

Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u

Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u

Old 07-11-2015, 03:25 AM

Default Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u

I know I can get some helpful input from this always so helpful board. I have looked at the Scan 'n Cut and think I may like to buy one but certainly not if it is going to sit in the box in the closet. I like to do raw edge appliqué and wonder if this would be a big help. I know a lot of people buy them to be used with their embroidery machine but I don't have an embroidery machine that I could use it with and only plan on using it to cut shapes from pictures - like coloring books, etc to be able to applique onto quilt blocks, etc.

I would love to have some opinions on this. Do you own one and use it for appliqué or do you own one and store it away in the closet? Thanks so very much for any input.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM

I don't have one, but watched a lady at a quilt shop use hers, it was fantastic. If I did raw edge applique I would buy one for sure, or any applique! I have also heard good things from others about it.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I knew someone who bought one but then she sold it on eBay to get an AccuGo!.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I think if you do crafting or specialty cut outs it would be a great tool. Several guild members have one but seldom use it for quilting cuts.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 AM

I have one and love how it cuts so quickly. There is a learning curve, so if you can buy it where there is support, do so!!
I bought one from my quilt shop and they know nothing and even had a very disappointing workshop where the gal had no clue how to teach. The Brother website has many videos on their website, Facebook groups are a good resource and YouTube videos also. In fact, you might view this info to help you decide, but don't let the learning curve discourage you.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 AM

You just scan you pictures and cut. You can also scan your fabric and fussy cut, or cut intricate curve piecing that you really don't want to rotary cut. I love mine. It does have a learning curve but can see many years of use for quilting and scrapbook card making. you do need to really read and watch online videos prior to cutting to not cut through mats, many people just go by the manual which is a sure fire way to cut through your mat. It is fun though and they are now starting to offer classes at road to ca quilt show. I just enrolled
Old 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM

I bought one for paper crafts and wasn't happy with the quality of fussy cuts so I sent it back. But since then they seem to have improved and they are now adjustable so I might try again.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Raw edge applique is probably one of the best uses for the scan n cut. I bought one last year, and have used it mostly on paper, only a little on fabric. When using it to cut fabric that does not have a fusible adhered to it you add a "support mat" to your cutting mat to stiffen it. The support mat is permanent, so you will have to dedicate that mat to that purpose. I have not yet cut appliques, but my understanding is that with the fusible adhered the support mat is not necessary.

Be prepared to experiment with the cutting blade settings (length and pressure) before using your best fabric. Also, be aware that the cutting mats are a consumable - they eventually lose their stickiness, and can develop grooves from repeated cuttings. I use baby wipes to clean the mat, then let it sit and dry to revive the stickiness. Try not to cut the same shape repeatedly in the same spot to prolong the mat's life.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:37 AM

Thumbs up

I do own one and worth every cent paid. I've used it for many different applications from applique (both raw and needle turn), paper crafting, vinyl, and wool and have not been disappointed. There is a slight learning curve and the manual could be improved upon. I notice you are from the Pittsburgh PA area so I suggest stopping in Creative Stitches Café located in Monroeville, PA. They sell the machine and are a great assistance in answering questions while learning the machine. Yes, I do keep mine in a cupboard only because of space limitations but the unit is constantly being pulled out for a project!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 AM

I tried one for McKenna Ryan appliques and was disappointed that it did not always do a clean cut especially on tighter curves. Does anyone else have this problem?