Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes? >

Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes?

Do you just need to do an easy one sometimes?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM

I bought all kinds of challenging kits and patterns over the past year. But I was getting burnt out. I think because of the constant challenge. Everything I was touching was either a new technique or complex paper piecing or lots of triangles.

So over the weekend, I did a simple charms laptop. It was great. Looks good to a non-quilter and the most thinking I had to do was nesting seams. I had an enjoyable no brainer weekend.

Now to some SID and I am done.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM

I have been quilting for 40 years , but yes there are times I really just want something easy! It is very cleansing of my brain to do something simple,easy and not challenging after a few projects that stretched my skills and patience.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

That is an interesting question. As I am progressing in my skill set, I realize that even the "simple" ones are tricky. 4-patch has to match the seams. Rail Fence has to maintain the correct placement to be right. But yes, it is nice to alternate.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Yes, I love to throw a few easy ones in when I can!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM

I go through perios when I just can't get to the machine. Have no idea what causes it. But simple quilts can be so easy yet so good for the soul. And people love them, just as if you put in 4 times much more time
Power Poster

Yes, sometimes one that doesn't take as much concentration on the piecing and placements :D:D:D

I found I was making bed-sized quilts (hand-quilting and in many cases, hand appliqued) for so long, I decided I just had to have a change and make a few projects I could complete in a much shorter time-frame-and use up some of my ever-increasing stash of scraps, fq's, and left over yardgage from the large quilts. I started making lap/wall quilts and approaching Xmas, make ornaments, a few wall quilts, and a few kitchen appliance covers. Now I got it out of my system, so I'm back hand-quilting a queen size quilt I pieced last year. So yea, sometimes you just need a change.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Absolutely! After a challenging quilt I almost always do an easy pattern that I can just cruise through. But really, I gravitate towards easy to moderate difficulty-level quilts most of the time anyway. I just love the look of them and to my eye, they seem a bit more warm and homey looking to me than some of the tougher, more elaborate patterns. But again, this is just me and my preference for making quilts. To view them, I love them all! :D
Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 PM

absolutely.... I dont want to loose my touch by getting all burndt out by working on harder projects, but I do like the challange though.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM

I have some easy scrap quilts cut and ready to stitch at all times. Then if I'm tired, sick or lacking inspiration to start a new project, I just grab my box of cut easy blocks and I'm off to stitch. It's so relazing and mind clearing to do mindless sewing once in awhile. Then I have a quick quilt for a last minute gift or a Community Project. I usually make these quick quilts out of scraps or donated fabric so it is a bonus quilt all around.