Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you know?? >

Do you know??

Do you know??

Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM

I agree. I think it is better not to know what I spend.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Some of it I do because I have a quilting business so I need those figures for income tax. I guess this year I should keep track of everything I spend that's involved with my quilting.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM

I can tell you almost to the penny. I do nothing but quilts for charities and keep track for IRS records. Some years it was pretty shocking, especially to my husband.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
just how much you spend in a year on our craft? I have never figured it out, but this year, I am trying to keep a record of what I spend for material and notions. If I would buy another machine, that doesn't go into the mix, because that is a long term investment. Has any one else ever kept track of what they spent over a year on material and notions? Just curious

And I just went to my expense sheet where I have kept track for the past 2 months, and maybe I will quit, because I added it up and was shocked. Some things are better left unknown
Now see? You just educated yourself! ROFLMBO!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM

I don't want to know. As long as I am able to buy, I will, when the time comes that I can't, then I will have my stash to fall back on.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
just how much you spend in a year on our craft? I have never figured it out, but this year, I am trying to keep a record of what I spend for material and notions. If I would buy another machine, that doesn't go into the mix, because that is a long term investment. Has any one else ever kept track of what they spent over a year on material and notions? Just curious

And I just went to my expense sheet where I have kept track for the past 2 months, and maybe I will quit, because I added it up and was shocked. Some things are better left unknown
What we don't know can't be held against us is my motto. So no I don't keep track. After all I'm worth it even if only in my mind. lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Funny you ask! When I received an order from an online store yesterday my hubby asked me how much I saved. Not how much I spent. You see. I am a Canadian wintering in Texas and I buy most of my fabric down here (about 40 yards so far) because it is often 1/4 to 1/3 of the price.
Ok, I also bought 10 big spools of thread, strip tube ruler, crazy drunkards path ruler for a class, a fabulous sewing table from Leah Day along with a slider, bobbin washers and gloves. That should do me for the year as I have a big stash. Last year, at home I bought only 3 yards all year and that was for a quilt for a patient at the hospital where I volunteer.
Bottom line, I have to know how much I spent for customs and I am still happy with the figure.