Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'? >

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 AM

I will buy any kit from Keepsake Quilting, Hancock's of Paducah, Connecting threads, or any of the reputable fabric houses (such as Moda) whose fabric lines please me.

Buying from good rep distributors or designers has always yielded excellent results for me.

Also, while Keepsake's "scrap bags" aren't exactly kits, I've found they are always well-coordinated and turn out great results with a good pattern.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 AM

I bought a Connecting Threads kit several years ago and just recently finished it. It went together very well and there was plenty of fabric (no skimping at all), and the fabric was lucious.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 AM

I have gotten several as gifts but have yet to make one. When I was a quilt tester each quilt came looking like a kit so I kinda sorta know.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 AM

I've done several kits and the only problem I've had is you have to be extremely careful when cutting the fabric. one of the kits I purchased just barely had enough fabric for one of the borders and it was fabric I had not seen locally. in the end I had a strip 1/4" left, if my ruler had slipped I would not have been able to complete it.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 AM

I love quilt kits. I have only made a couple but have several kits not started yet. I have never had a problem with the yardage in them but have had several friends who had kits that the yardage was shorted so make sure you check the kit as soon as you get it to make sure all fabric requirements are there. My quilt instructor had told our class that she had bought a kit and didn't make it for over a year and found that she was shorted and the fabric was no longer available. I also have substituted some fabric from my stash that I liked better with the kit.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM

I bought one on ebay I love. I don't buy them in shops--too expensive. I look for the patterns instead.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 AM

I never look at them .I prefer to pick my own colors and I do not like the price of any of them.My greatest pleasure is playing with color and I prefer 100s of choices to the limits of a kit.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM

I have purchased quilt kits in the past, but doubt if I will again. One kit, fabric had been shorted, which I had bought at a show, so couldn't get more. OK, try again. Next kit, looked nice, but the directions were horrible. OK, one more time. Third kit, fabric amounts didn't match up to the directions. Decided to forgo quilt kits.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM

I purchased several kits when I first started quilting. I have only made a few. So far I have not had any problems with the instructions. Here's one I made recently.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228329.jpe  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I have done some kits, but am always concerned about running short of fabric. So I like to buy a bit of extra if I can.
I sometimes change out fabrics too. I'd buy more of them, but they are usually pretty spendy up front.