Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'? >

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM

I have purchased kits, but I usually don't like one or more of the choices they have in the kit, and I change it out with my stash. I bought one kit just for the panel because it was no longer available. What they had with it were the coordinates, but to me they were too matchy.
It's a me thing I guess.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 AM

I've also used the kit fabric but changed the pattern.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I am working on my 1st King Size Quilt Kit and am surprised it is going so fast. Love the fabric colors together, instructions are good and everything is going together well. Is this the norm for kits? I have a crib blanket kit that I haven't started yet.
I am working on my first large (queen) quilt. However, only the fabrics and pattern were in the kit. I did the cutting myself according to instructions. Purchased from Connecting Threads I am very pleased. The fabric is great and there is enough for me to substitute where I want to (and I always seem to want to make a few changes.) Connecting Threads encourages the quilter to think "outside the box" and make changes and they allow enough fabric to do so.

The other two kits were from Downy's quilts for kids and I was kind of disappointed. Whoever cut the pieces did not cut straight and I had to fudge on seam allowances several times. I made sure the quilting was heavy in those areas but I'm wary now. Connecting Threads cuts the amount you need for every color and always send enough for generous left-over scraps. I think I have found my source for fabrics and threads. I've yet to be disappointed.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM

i love buying kits. The colors all match, and you don't have to make any decisions. So, if I can find a kit that has a pattern that I like, and fabric that I like, it is a bonus to me. I haven't found the kit patterns to be any harder than most.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM

All kits that have good directions are easy. I have a few that had lousy directions and I gave up on them.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 PM

I sell kits on Ebay and our kits just include the patterns and the fabric for the quilt top along with the binding. I charge accordingly and am sure to include plenty of fabric incase of mistakes. I really enjoy cutting the kits ( not in pieces but yardage) and have gotten great feedback! This has been quite a useful topic for me!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I have lots of kits but I usually rob the fabric to go with something else I'm making. I buy then on clearance so the fabric is a bargain.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM

I have made one, and will never buy another. One of the fat quarters was only 17 1/2 inches wide,making me short one 2 inch square. There is no extra fabric in case you make a mistake, and no way to get "a little more" of any of it.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM

I like buying kits. I like when they have a finished example on display and knowing that I will like the results when the kit is finished. Sometimes you just don't have the time to pick out fabrics for a project. I have purchased many over the years and have only had one time that I was short a bit of fabric. I called the shop right away and they sent me what I needed to complete the project.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM

I like to buy Kaffe Fasset kits because his quilts always seem to take a zillion different fabrics. There are a couple of stores that I deal with that cut kits from patterns in his books. Therefore no problem with instructions ubless the book has a problem. I have always been very happy with thses kits. Actually I dont know if I would call them kits per se. The store cuts what the pattern calls for.