Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you make Bed Runners?

community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    I'm seeing more patterns for bed runners, nice idea, see them in hotels all the time. Does anyone make them here? This would be a nice way to change the 'holiday' in your bedroom with a runner, maybe pillow shams to match... room done in blue? Do Christmas in blue snowflakes to add to the bedrm. We do this for table runners, never gave bed runners much thought before.
    Anyone?

I'm thinking about making one. I started out with the table runner idea and then had enough fabric that I'm thinking about expanding it. The ones I have seen are very cool and it is a good way to make something bigger than a table runner but yet smaller than a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I just saw a pattern for one in one of my magazines-can't remember which one, but I thought it was a terrific idea and wanted to make a few as gifts. Will search tomorrow (Mr. Sandman is calling me now!)lol. Actually, you could use a number of bed-sized patterns and just make a few rows of the pattern and put a border and binding on it I would think.

They're great for pet lovers. Keeps them off the fancy hair attracting duvets. Or, in my case, chenille bedspread.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking of making one, just because my feet get colder than the rest of my body :D:D:D

I am working on one for my mom for Christmas. Hope to have it fnished this week. Just got a new machine to quilt it on so I'm getting anxious to finish it. Will post pictures when done.

I too thought that making a different one for each season instead of a full sized quilt would be nice.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Women used to make them years ago,only they laid them over the pillows at the top.The idea was not to have shams,but not have to make the quilt extra long for tucking in.

How do you know what size to make them, Love the idea to use them for holiday decorating.

I have so many lap size quilts that I made for shop class samples. I am going to quilt up just plain fabric and start using those as my runners. That way I can change up my color scheme fairly quickly.

that's really good idea. Dh always has to have an extra blanket folded over his feet. I eventually want to make a log cabin quilt for our bed (after all the kids get one! lol!) so a solid color would be nice and not take away from the quilt.

I believe they are also called "Quarter Quilts".

Blog Entries
    I bought a book so I could make one but my DH thinks it's a stupid idea. I'm going to make one anyway.

Lynn

I have a book "Bed Runners" by House of White Birches.
    The one I want to make is 82" X 36". There are 10 different patterns in this book.......it depends on the size of the bed. There is one for a child's bed....it has pockets on the edge for a book and stuffed toy. Really cute!

I purchased a book called TOPPERS at JoAnn's, (sorry, don't recall the author) but is has many toppers for all seasons as well as birthday and kokapelli desgins.

I use them on the back of the couch. They're just the right size and don't have to be folded in half like a quilt. I didn't think of making them for different holidays-duh! They're easier to wash than a quilt, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    Women used to make them years ago,only they laid them over the pillows at the top.The idea was not to have shams,but not have to make the quilt extra long for tucking in.
    This is what I do with them also. I know I'm LAZY about tucking the quilt, but you can't tell the difference that it's not tucked. I have to keep a larger blanket on my bed because me cat like to have the WHOLE bed not just the foot of my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I purchased a book called TOPPERS at JoAnn's, (sorry, don't recall the author) but is has many toppers for all seasons as well as birthday and kokapelli desgins.
    Also have that book, by Lynda Milligan & Nancy Smith published by Possibilities. Mine is dated 1998 and it contains many neat bed runners. I've used the designs to do things other than bed runners.

Blog Entries
    I make bed runners...it's a great way to add a little something to the room without making a full sized quilt or spending a lot of money. I make mine 18-24 inches wide and then the width of the bed plus how ever much I want it to hang down the sides. Go ahead and make one for every holiday!

I've been wanting to make some to match the quilts I made for my child, but haven't made one yet. :o)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FortMyers
    How do you know what size to make them, Love the idea to use them for holiday decorating.
    Just measure the width of your bed-make them as wide as a quilt for the bed-only I make them approx 30# in length-I don't think that is very important-approx. is fine. I plan a couple from a quilt pattern for a queen bed, only just making a couple of rows and then putting on a border and binding it. Great way to experiment with designs of your own without going thru much fabric

Right now our feet don't get cold. I do make pillow covers, instead of shams, usually one for each pillow, I don't like to tuck the pillows with the quilt. makes the sides look funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    I'm seeing more patterns for bed runners, nice idea, see them in hotels all the time. Does anyone make them here? This would be a nice way to change the 'holiday' in your bedroom with a runner, maybe pillow shams to match... room done in blue? Do Christmas in blue snowflakes to add to the bedrm. We do this for table runners, never gave bed runners much thought before.
    Anyone?
    Yes, I have seen them. I have seen them called foot warmers or something like that, to be used at the bottom of the bed to keep your feet warm. Wouldn't work so well on my bed. My dogs think my bed is really theirs; and is just to much work to try to discourage a Great Dane and a Rottweiler mix from getting on the bed. During the day they lay there and guard the neighborhood. The Great Dane would use the bed runner as her own private quilt and ruin it. They do look like a neat idea for changing your decorating scheme. I have so many quilt ideas already that I don't think I need to be making bed runners.

I got a two unfinished quilts (pieced, batted, backed an barely quilted) at a thrift store. I had no idea what the long skinny thing was until I heard of it here. I won't use it on my bed since it's too girly, pink & old fashioned looking. I got it to practice on my quilt frame - which I have yet to turn on. I really need to remedy that!

Good for you. DH's do not know everything!

sue in OH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast