Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own binding?

My cousin taught me how to make it.. Thats the only way I do it. Its fun and easy..

Jim
    I make my own, I cut two inch strips on the bias and I have a machine with a bias binder attachment on it and I run t he 2 inch strip throughtthe bias maker and right onto the edge of the quilt and under the needle sewing it on right away...sometimes I do have to put it on with regualr machine if the fabric is too stretchy or one that the machine doesn't seem to like

I make bias bindings for all my quilts. I make them as I'm working on a project, roll them and stash them away. As soon as the quilting is done, I have a binding ready to sew on. I learned long ago to make the binding before I used the fabric for something else or just plain lost it.

I make my own too. Sometimes if it is a scrappy quilt, I sew scraps together to make a large piece of fabric, then cut on the bias and sew ends together at an angle. Scrappy binding is so unique and really adds character.

Make my own, 3 inch... works for me.

I make my own. I really like scrap quilts so I have started just making scrap bindings. uses up more scraps that way.

I just bought the Simplicity Binder....cant wait to try it....

I always make my own. cannot ever find the right amount or what I like in the the stores.

I make my own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I make my own using a fabric either in the quilt or a companion to it. Sew together at an angle.
    I make my own and sew it together like you do - 2-1/2", iron it down and loop it into about an 8" circle and then tie it so it stays together and I don't have it running all over the house. Then if there is any left over, I fold the quilt and tie it with the leftover binding. Nice little finishing touch. Edie

As a newbie, I have been making my own binding, but I am now intrigued with the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine that you all have mentioned. Everyone seems to like it, so I am thinking it may be a good investment.

Any other opinions about the Simplicity machine? I will search this forum for posts about it, but any opinions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    As a newbie, I have been making my own binding, but I am now intrigued with the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine that you all have mentioned. Everyone seems to like it, so I am thinking it may be a good investment.

Any other opinions about the Simplicity machine? I will search this forum for posts about it, but any opinions would be appreciated.
    I just googled the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine, seems to make up to 1" single fold. I would like one now, but I cut 3" strips for 1/2" bindings.

I usally make my own using the 'continuous binding strip" method, but I have bought and used store bought binding from Walmart. They just don't have the right colors.

I used to use the premade binding and dreaded binding more than anything. I like making my own binding so much better-I can use anything I want and it's not stiff and hard to handle. Binding is still my least favorite part of quilting but I don't dread it like I used to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna H-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom

I just googled the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine, seems to make up to 1" single fold. I would like one now, but I cut 3" strips for 1/2" bindings.
    The machine has tips you can buy for the different sizes. I use the quilt binding size, 2 1/2 inch strips, single fold. It also will make double fold. The extra tips are $10 each, it comes with some...but can't remember which ones.

I have one of those. They work great and make it so easy!

Blog Entries
    I make my own binding 2 1/2". You may already know this but just in case a helpful tip when making your own binding (read it somewhere a long time ago but don't remember where) is to pin a safety pin at the end of your ironing board and guide your binding through it as you are pressing. This works great for me and might be helpful to you and others. Since I enjoy making scrap quilts I make scrappy bindings.

I make my own, 2 1/4 is the cut I use, but need to get one of the binding makers I have heard about.

I make my own 2 1/2" bias binding using the continuous binding strip method and iron a single fold. I then fold it accordion style into a plastic bowl with a slot cut in the lid and feed the beginning edge out the slot. I have been saving my leftovers to use on smaller or scrappy projects.

I make my own. I like the idea of being able to match my binding however I want. I usually use a piece of what I have in the quilt.

I make my own binding using a continuous tube strip method and cutting it 2 1/2" wide if cotton and 3" if flannel. I often cut bindings ahead in colours that I know I will need (red, dark blue, green) press and roll them on paper towel rolls and stick them in my binding bin. As I usually make scrap quilts, these pre-made bindings are often just what I need. I save any leftovers and use them for bibs or join them and use them on another scrap quilt.

Blog Entries
    I always make my own. 2 1/4 inch, cut on the bias I use a piece of PVC pipe, about 15" long and 2" diameter, and roll the assembled strip around it. Then can feed it easily on to the edge of the quilt.

I'm curious about those of you who say you use 3". If you're attaching it to the front of the quilt first, do you still use a 1/4 seam? Seems like you'd have a lot of extra ... do you fold it all on to the back?

Quote Originally Posted by candi
    I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:
    I do mine exactly like you, attempting being the key word. :)

I make my own. Using one of the fabrics in the quilt.
    Cut 2 3/4 inches, iron in half.

Quote Originally Posted by candi
    I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:
    me too

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast