Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own binding?

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Make my own - WOF x 2 1/4", joined w/45 angles, unless curves on edge, then bias.

I make my own, also. I cut mine 2-3/8 inches wide. Sew strips on a diagonal then fold in half lengthwise. I have found that for me, 2-1/4 is too narrow and 2-1/2 is too wide. Just that 1/8 inch makes the world of difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i make my own
    Same here.....
    Generally make the binding out of the backing material.
    I also join the left over bindings and use it in scrap or childrens quilts.

Or..since my binding is 2 1/2 " wide, I cut it into squares.
    Depends on how I feel at the time.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

I also make my own

I make my own 2 1/2 in fold in have and iron.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Make my own - WOF x 2 1/4", joined w/45 angles, unless curves on edge, then bias.
    Ditto!

Blog Entries
    I make my own, cut 2 1/2 strips, press in half and sew to top of quilt and then hand stitch to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I make my own, I cut two inch strips on the bias and I have a machine with a bias binder attachment on it and I run t he 2 inch strip throughtthe bias maker and right onto the edge of the quilt and under the needle sewing it on right away...sometimes I do have to put it on with regualr machine if the fabric is too stretchy or one that the machine doesn't seem to like
    Long years ago, (In the fifties), one day I discovered the bias binder attachment on my then new Kenmore.
    My husband laughed and laughed when he came home that day. I had sewed bias binding on everything I could find to sew it on, the kitchen towels, curtains, sheets, pillowcases, even the tail of one of his old workshirts!
    The house was full of bias binding!
    Well, at about ten cents a pk...

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have done it three different ways:

I have made my own cutting 2 1/2 inch strips, and ironing with the Simplicity binding maker. That's what I do now, and love it.

I have bought binding on ebay for .40 cents a yard.

I have bought bias tape (pre-made) from Walmart, but they never have enough packages or the right colors. However, it sure is fast to use...

What about you? What do you do about binding?
    Purplemem

I have always only made my own, now that is because I never knew that you can purchase some pre-made binding! Now that I know....

TreeFrog

I always make my own to compliment the quilt using anything from 2' to 2.5" strips depending on the quilt. The strips are folded wrong sides together, pressed, sewn raw edges together on the front and then hand-stitched to the back mitering corners.

I have wondered about the Singer binder. Is it worth the purchase or too good to be true? Thanks!

I to make my own binding..cut it 3", press it in half..wrap it on a 6"x12" board. Much cheaper & looks better in my opinion.

Forgot to tell you... I was taught by a master quilter to cut long long strips of binding from the length of the fabric, before I cut anything else!
    This has these advantages:
    It might be long enough to go around the quilt with no piecing!
    It will iron straight easier...and it will track straighter through the sewing machine.
    If you are hand stitching, it will fold straighter and stay in place with fewer pins.
    It will make a straighter edge, without ripples, because it does not stretch.

Make my own... though I recently bought a binding maker... but haven't used it yet. I must admit... even though it's the last step and it finishes the long awaited process... it's my least favorite part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxpeach
    I always make my own to compliment the quilt using anything from 2' to 2.5" strips depending on the quilt. The strips are folded wrong sides together, pressed, sewn raw edges together on the front and then hand-stitched to the back mitering corners.

I have wondered about the Singer binder. Is it worth the purchase or too good to be true? Thanks!
    Go to a Singer dealer and ask to try one?
    If it works like my old one that was a foot for my machine it is like magic!

I make my own binding. I cut it at 2" since I like a narrow binding. I usually choose the fabric once the top is done, since I'm not always sure what colour and fabrc will look the best.

Thanks! We don't have a Singer dealer in town, but I did see one on line. It looked very interesting. Just wondering if it was worth the money. I really don't have a problem making binding, it just takes time, like everything else. Now if it would just cut the bias strips for me, I would definitely be on board. That is one job I don't like to do. Luckily, I don't do very many bias bindings! Thanks, again!

I make my own from 2 1/2-inch fabric on straight of the grain (don't bias unless it's going on a tight curve). My Go cutter has a 2 1/2-inch strip template and I also have a Martelli slotted ruler. I don't like any slotted ruler except the Martelli.

I cut mine on the bias and miter each corner.

Could someone explain how the binding press in tool works?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BfloDd
    I'm not sure what you're asking...are you asking about the Clover binding tool or the simplicity binding maker?

I agree to cutting out the binding before you sew your quilt. :thumbup:

I always make my own. Purchased binding is usually inferior (loose weaved) fabric. I also cut it 2.5 inches wide and make a doubled binding to give longer life and more stability.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have done it three different ways:

I have made my own cutting 2 1/2 inch strips, and ironing with the Simplicity binding maker. That's what I do now, and love it.

I have bought binding on Ebay for .40 cents a yard.

I have bought bias tape (pre-made) from Walmart, but they never have enough packages or the right colors. However, it sure is fast to use...

What about you? What do you do about binding?
    I always make my own binding I would never find the right fabric to suit if I could get any where to buy it.

I always make my own...2 1/4 in wide. Like the choices I have with making my own!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast