Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you pre-wash your quilts before gifting? >

Do you pre-wash your quilts before gifting?

Do you pre-wash your quilts before gifting?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Yes! Who wants my dirt? I wouldn't want theirs!! They can use it immediately with it already being washed.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I do, and other times not. Although 2 years ago at Christmas I was giving our DGD a quilt for her big Christmas gift. Because I have a cat and my DS and DDIL both are allergic, I had planned to wash the quilt before giving it to her. I was running late, had just finished putting on the binding, so we brought the quilt in a large black trash bag, which my son smuggled into their laundry room by the back door. The quilt was finished drying just when Zoe had finished opening her presents. We had her close her eyes, while my son draped the quilt over her, warm from the dryer. The expression on her face was priceless. She jumped off the couch, ran over to me with the biggest hugs and kisses while she told me "I love it very, very much". That made my year, as I had spent most of the year with the combined patchwork and applique quilt for a twin size bed, but thankfully I had made it larger, since they decided to put her into a full size bed. Phew. Her reaction, as well as that of my DS and DDIL, saying it was one of my best quilts ever, made all that time and effort worth every minute.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
YES! Every quilt I make is laundered as the final step after the binding. If anything is going to happen when my quilt is laundered I want to be the one to find it, not a recipient who would be upset, stressed, traumatized . I sell many, many quilts, commissions, special orders, and ones that are just seen & wanted. Every one has been laundered. None has looked ( used)
Ditto - always. It's important to know it will hold together in the wash.