Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You PRESS or IRON your Yardage before starting to cut for piecing?

I just ironed a few yards of flannel over the weekend.

I douse it in Best Press, let it sit for a while to soak in (longer than regular fabric), then I IRON it always sliding the iron with the LOF only.

If I "iron" it with the WOF at all, it's only after it's completely dry, never wet.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I only iron fabric if it is wrinkled. Do press seams about half the time. Lots of times I will just finger press as I go.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    If you are worried about stretching while ironing, get a Steady Betty. I have the large size (50% off Joann's online coupon.) I love it for pressing blocks and pre cuts.
    Got fabric?

I iron the fabric after washing (if I wash it at all!) and then after that I press the pieces. I find the whole process of washing, starching and ironing large pieces of fabric a terrible task that I just as soon not tackle, that's why I finally stopped doing it a long time ago! When all fabric is treated the same way before quilting, they will react the same way after in the wash. I do use many color catchers in the wash however, and have had no problems even though I have used quilte a few batiks in some of my quilts.

I too, wash everything before I cut it. I also press the large peices with steam but try not to stretch.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I do not prewash. I iron the fabric prior to cutting using Magic Sizing (99 cents from Walmart). It makes the cut pieces easy to handle and sew. I press seams after sewing.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

i too use Magic spray sizing on every piece of fabric before I begin to cut. Spray and iron back and forth, up and down, sideways....I want that fabric to shink now and not after I cut pieces. I lightly spray as I am pressing pieces that have been sewn together and spray again as blocks are being joined. I also spray and iron the backing fabric...back and forth,etc. for a lap/baby size quilt, I use at least 1/2 a can.....I just finished a King that used 2 full cans. Walmart carries the blue can ( light sizing ) for 97 cents and my grocery store carries the green can ( heavy sizing ) for about double the price. I like it best on Batiks but the blue does OK too. I have some quilts that have been washed and dryed several times that have maybe 5 percent shrinkage...from the batting that I do not pre-treat and I like the old fashioned look!!

I do not prewash but I do starch and iron my fabric before cutting. If I had to wash, dry and iron all my fabric before I sewed I wouldn't have time to sew!

Blog Entries
    When I started I just bought fabric cut and sewed. The quilt I am working on now I prewashed starched and ironed. I have starched ironed and cut without prewashing. Starching and ironing (pressing) before cutting makes cutting easier IMHO. I think prewashing depends on the fabric used.
    You will get what you expect to get.

I'm with cmw. All fabric that comes in the house goes directly into the laundry. I don't like to put it in the dryer but that's just me. Then I tear off the selvages and iron with steam. I also use steam on my blocks. I want the seams to lay down.

I prewash fabrics from Joann's and Hobby Lobby, but not LQS fabrics. I love Bounce fabric spray and use it for pressing fabrics before cutting and use it when pressing seams.

Anything I preshrink I iron. I also use Best Press.

Blog Entries
    I always prewash my fabric to get rid of all chemicals plus the formadehyde that is in the fabric also takes care of any shrinkage and bleeding then I do iron

I always wash and iron my fabric..... press when actually 'building' a block. That said, I don't wash small wall-hangings.

I do the same thing. Love Best Press for accuracy and cutting ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I don't prewash anymore but I do iron new fabric with Best Press before cutting.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I haven't pre-washed my fabric ever since I started sewing back in 1968 but now you guys are scaring me to death. I don't want to have the ragged edges and thought that once the fabric was sewn into a quilt it would stay put but now I'm worried. I don't want to give or sell a quilt that would change shape. What do you all think about my predicament?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I cut the amount of fabric I need in 1/4 or 1/2 yards. I starch my fabric very stiff before cutting. I cover my ironing surface with white muslin. Any bleeding fabric will show immediately and get pre washed.
    what a great idea.

Blog Entries
    I wash, dry and fold if I'm not ready to start cutting. I press before I cut and use starch.

I never prewash my fabrics. When I am ready to use something, I spray with sizing and press the fabric, then iron. I have never had a problem with off grain pieces or shrinkage.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I always wash my fabric before using it. If it's piece that I am not planning on using right away, I wash and fold it, then use Best Press and iron before incorporating it in any project. The ironing on the fabric I am just going to store depends on how much other work I have to do that day.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Vat
    I seldom wash (maybe red before using), but I always stiff starch and press before cutting.

BellaBoo, that is great advice!!! Never thought of that. I had that question in my mind, too, so now it's answered. That is why I love this board!!

I Iron everything. Prewash, Iron, fold, put away. Get out, cut. sew. iron. Only time I Press is if I finger- press a seam that will be crossed with another seam before I iron it cause I am too lazy to get up and iron it. Or if I am working with 60 degree angles. I usually finger press those. I found it interesting that so many here said what they did but not so much "why". It seems to me that pressing takes longer and can cause tucks along the seam line if you aren't careful. As long as I iron with the grain (the direction the threads run) the pieces don't stretch. And yeah, I stay away from steam while piecing, but after washing that steam sure helps get out the wrinkles. Magic Sizing is better than starch for removing wrinkles. The starch just stiffens the fabric so it doesn't stretch when working with triangles. That is the way I see it anyways.

I wash and dry my fabric, then fold it away until I'm ready to use it. At this point, I starch and iron it. I don't see any point in ironing it before storing it, then having to iron it again before I cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Iron on new fabric, and I attempt to press my blocks, but am not always successful. I don't like to stretch my seams.....
    That's what I do. To me, "ironing" is moving the iron all around on the fabric (like on a shirt). "Pressing" is more just lifting the iron up & down on the piece to be pressed (does that sound right?). I iron my yardage but once it's sewn, I only press it.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast