Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you press your batting?

Blog Entries
    I have put batting into the clothes dryer and had some luck. However, I use a clothes steam presser. It works great, just don't get your hand in front of the steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I usually start with spritzing it with water and putting in the dryer for a few minutes on medium. If there's a stubborn wrinkle I will sometimes touch that with the iron. But usually it's fine from the dryer.
    This is what I was wondering. Couldn't you just put it in the dryer for a little bit to get the wrinkles out? Would it work on poly batting too?

I agree the batts lay so much flatter after being in the dryer for 10 - 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Since you can't press the poly batting, I just let it relax. Lay it out, go watch a tv show or do something else for about an hour and it smooths out some. Or, if it's a smaller quilt I hang it on a design wall to sandwich and the wrinkles fall out more quickly.
    Actually you can press the poly batting. Just on low heat or with a cloth over it. I like the idea of pressing the batting. I have only done parts of it in the past. I am definitely going to try this on my next quilt. Thanks for the idea.

Haven't had to no problem do lay it out overnight

Good Morning & Happy Thanksgiving I put my batting in the dryer with a wet towel & all the wrinkles & folds come out just on low for a few minutes. Happy Quilting , Shirley :-P

this sounds like an easy and sensible way to smooth out batting. I am going to try it.

Believe it or not, you can press the poly batting. I have always done it. I spraybaste my top to it first, then steam press...turn it over & do the same with the backing to it. Not many pins, no wrinkles on front or back, first washing softens and not alot of shrinkage. All the steaming takes care of that. So much easier to SID or FMQ! :thumbup:

I use a lot of fusible batting for small projects so I guess my answer is yes - Happy Thanksgiving

thanks for the insight!

I have to admit I have now switched to fusible batting so I can't press it or put it in the dryer. I just smooth out any wrinkles when I sandwich it and it is a little sticky even before fusing. Up here in Canada, we pay $30 and up for a large can of 505 so in the long run I think I will save money. It's so nice to quilt without worrying about all the safety pins. The fusible batts are not a lot more and I wait until Connecting Threads have their batting sales. Also I like the fact that I can use up small pieces by fusing them together. Just my 2 cents.
    BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to those quilters stateside. I like our earlier Thanksgiving as I think yours is too close to Christmas.

kwiltnutt

I usually start with spritzing it with water and putting in the dryer for a few minutes on medium. If there's a stubborn wrinkle I will sometimes touch that with the iron. But usually it's fine from the dryer.
    Totally agree...This is how I do it too.......

Blog Entries
    re - batting wrinkles.. for my sewing/quilting group, we use JoAnn's poly which is on a roll. It isn't the greatest to be sure, but it is what we can afford for a charitable group and is 48 inches wide.

About half way through the roll, the batt has always become twisted and has terrible deep folds in it. Putting it in the dryer does not help this.

HOWEVER, sprinkling it a bit with a few drops of water or putting it in the dryer for a few minutes with a damp washcloth will fluff it very nicely. I find it fluffs so nicely, it gathers up the batting a bit, so be sure you give yourself enough room, if you precut it for a quilt. This does work great and I am always bringing home the quilt and batting before we send the quilt to the next group of people to work on it - the "tie people".

Julie LOVE IN STITCHES - 3cats. Port Orange Florida

I am a winter Texan and in our park we have commercial driers. We put them in on low and they relax and quilt beautifully. No lumps

Myself I use mostly blanket's and I wash and dry them and
    put them right down on my backing and I have had no problem with doing that all nice and smooth . :D

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ditto

Iwash natural batting, takes care of the shrinking and wrinkles.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was told to put the (dry) batting in the dryer for 10 minutes or so and the wrinkles have come out for me. I have not made a great number of quilts but the ones I did make seemed fine.

If its been folded I do, especially when I'm in a hurry. Sometimes I just hang it out on the clothes line for a day, but I'm not patient enough to wait a whole day most of the time.

I use warm and natural and not only always press it but I preshrink it beforehand. This sometimes gets awkward as the pieces can be large for a large quilt. But you can wet it down in the bathtub.

Fluffing it in a dryer makes a big difference. You might want to try that.

After a very bad experience with literally melting/fusing a poly batting in the dryer, I now lay it out on a bed. I then spray it with a wrinkle-resist product, then smooth it out with my hands. I then turn on the ceiling fan and let it dry. This takes out some wrinkles, but doesn't really get out the major creases and poofs. I've only used bagged battings which are often rather wrinkled.

I think I will try the dryer again but will use a wet towel this time. In my first attempt, I had only sprayed a little water into the dryer.

Blog Entries
    I never thought of ironing I have always used the dryer then lay it on the bed in the spare romm and is always smooth

I also use this method and fine it works really well

I don't use the pre-packed batting anymore because of all thw winkles and thin and thick places....so i purchase it on roll when it is on sale....much better....of course i have to save up some monies......but well worth it !!!!!

Yes, I press. I use a poly/cotton batt. It often stays in the original packaging for ages. After I lay the batting out across a bed for a day or two, if there are still wrinkles or "thick spots", I use a dry warm iron to work it all smooth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast