Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you put a binding on a wallhanging?

Angry Do you put a binding on a wallhanging?

I posted earlier about battings for this wallhanging. Thanks for all the replies. I just thought of another question. Do you put a binding on a wallhanging or do you just sew it right sides together and flip it inside out? I so dread joining my binding strips at the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Either way is fine. BTY it is very cute, and well done.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Adding a binding gives you the chance to add a last pop of color. I always put bindings on my wall hangings. Finishing the ends isn't really that hard once you learn how.

Thank you

Any suggestions as to color on the binding? Not sure what really matches with gold.

I bind pretty much everything I do and there is an easy way to sew the ends together!! I do it on the diagonal and it works well every time!!!

I do mine both ways, depends on the size and the design. You have said that you didn't plan to quilt that piece and want to put a soft batting, if any, in it. Under those conditions, not putting a binding on will just increase the chances that it will sag and droop. You've never said what the size is; that makes a difference as well because of the weight pulling it down.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

The size is 11 3/4 x 44 1/2. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards binding it. Why would I go to all this work and not finish it up nicely? Again, not sure what color to use on the binding.

I always use batting and bind. I just think it looks better,and the weight helps things hang flat. Color? Maybe a darker color from your design? My PC may not be showing a true color but it looks like a golden with a brown, or dark tan design. Id try to match the darker color in the design. Good luck, I really like your wall hanging!

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It all depends upon the way I want it to look. Your quilt (which is beautiful, by the way), your choice.

Pat

Very nice wall hanging. I would try to match one of the dark browns from the pictures. Or if you want it to look like there isn't a binding, you could always bind it in the gold main color. It's the hanging sleeves I have trouble with!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I always bind. It adds a pop of color and it is the grand finale of the piece.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I use binding....I feel like it completes the project and gives it that last bit of pop and balance.

I do art quilts mostly which means wall hangings. A couple I left without bindings (which is an art quilt trend) but they didn't look complete to me. So, I put on the smallest binding I could (quarter inch). Guess that is my traditional quilting background showing up. LOL
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

Blog Entries
    I think a black binding would finish it off nicely!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I found a way to hang quilts and don't need the sleeve. I sew cafe rings to the back and then I can use a dowel rod or thumb tacks to hang them.
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    I found a way to hang quilts and don't need the sleeve. I sew cafe rings to the back and then I can use a dowel rod or thumb tacks to hang them.
    I picked these drapery ring clips up at Hancock's last year for 50 cents a package (usually $10 and up a package)! I bought all they had (which was a lot) and now I use them to hang wall hangings, quilts etc. I have some nice decorative rods that I hang things on. If I don't want them to be black, I just spray paint them whatever color I want them to be.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I picked these drapery ring clips up at Hancock's last year for 50 cents a package (usually $10 and up a package)! I bought all they had (which was a lot) and now I use them to hang wall hangings, quilts etc. I have some nice decorative rods that I hang things on. If I don't want them to be black, I just spray paint them whatever color I want them to be.

hehehe...my BFF worked at Hancock's last year and got 70 packages for $.10 each! We both now use them for everything! I won't give a wall hanging without including a pair of these now!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You can do whatever you want..on hangings this small, I just pillowcase it..and then top stitch to give it a nice finish edge!

I always do a binding for a wallhanging...for smaller wallhangings will do a single fold binding. I like the way I can add another color at the edge of the quilt...kind of like a frame. Your quilt is really nice...maybe a brown, or darker blue for the binding...like the middle wiseman's crown.

I like my bindings to be on the dark side.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bind all my work. The first wall hanging I did was without the binding but since then they all have had bindings. The binding isn't that hard to do once you learn or find the tricks to doing it.
    On yours I'd either use the blue or the white from your blocks. I try to use a binding that either matches the last border and just blends in or one that captures a color from one of the blocks to draw attention to that area, and to make the whole piece just pop.

Good job on the one you are making!

Phyllis
    QuiltingGrannie
    Quilter's Pantry

Blog Entries
    YES, binding. Why not use the gold? I just did on a table runner and am very pleased how nice it looks. I was concerned, but it's the only color I had the right amount of and this was scrappy. I did cruise the LQS, but nothing they had was any better. My DIL likes it.

Either way is good. Nice job!
    Linda

Banned
    I sometime put a facing on wallhangings. depends on the design. Sometime no binding but facing works better with the design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast