Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you quilt your own?

Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the quilt. I have quilted by hand, on my regular sewing machine and sent them out for quilting. I choose the type of quilting depending on the use of the quilt. Happy quilting to all.

I have in the past either tied or hand quilted. I am learning to do quilting on my regular machine, but I am fighting wiht lap sized, haven't tried larger.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.
    What is the cotton theory type of quilting? (curious)

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple sent out to a longarmer. I rather do it myself. I use a simple grid or circles and sometimes I do feathers or shapes using a stencil. I like Georgia Bonesteel's method of quilt as you go. I do that for a lot of my quilts.

Blog Entries
    I tried the Cotton Theory and the Fun and Done. I like Georgia's method much better.

Blog Entries
    I mostly quilt my own. I do a lot of stich in the ditch, echo or grid pattern. I am trying to learn FMQ but it just ain't happenin. LOL :lol: If the quilt is going to be a special gift or just to big fo me to do, I send it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    It is a form of quilting-as-you go. You work with sandwich of backing, batting, and top. I didn't try, but bet a Google of "Cotton method quilting" would bring up information. A lady with the last name of "Cotton" put out a book on this method, hense, the name.

Quote Originally Posted by moreland
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    It is a form of quilting-as-you go. You work with sandwich of backing, batting, and top. I didn't try, but bet a Google of "Cotton method quilting" would bring up information. A lady with the last name of "Cotton" put out a book on this method, hense, the name.

Thank you! Working on project Linus quilts so the faster we can do them the better. I want them to look great but not take up too much time.
    :-D

I quilt all my own work. I wrestle with twin up to queen size on my machine. But I am having a blast making small lap quilts and baby quilts. This summer I plan on using my square stash and make pot holders, hot pads and coasters as gifts for Christmas.

I usually handquilt anything over crib or Linus size. I just finished machine quilting one of two T shirt quilts I am making for a customer. Now I remember why I don't machine quilt larger peices. I have another one to do. I am playing around on this board to avoid getting started. I hurt all over from wrestling with the first of the two quilts.

Blog Entries
    I quilt my own, would love to be able to send them out though! Can't afford to unfortuantely.
    I mostly FMQ since DH made me the frame, but need to branch off onto other quilting patterns - they all look alike! lol!!!

My next project awaiting the rotary blade is a Cotton Theory quilt. I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted, but I've never done anything larger than twin size.

I am a relative beginner and send them to a long arm quilter over half of the time. After all the work of making the top, I am always afraid I'll mess it up if I quilt. I have only quilted in the ditch and done straight line quilting when I have quilted them myself. Plus, my machine has a short bed and I don't think it would be possible to quilt anything larger than a crib size on it.

Blog Entries
    I do it at home both ways.

I do all my own. Can't afford to send it out and I am a hand quilter, Just finished a full size for a friend where I used to work. For the Walk for Life raffle. Some I do stitch in the ditch but prefer to hand quilt.

I love hand quilting! it is very relaxing and satisfying. And it kills time while you listen to commercials or going on long trips. I don't "do" machine quilting very well. But, I think whatever works for everybody=each to their own-it is the end result that counts and a person's enjoyment that matters.

I have quilted all of my own quilts. I do them all on my regular size machine and have quilted at least 10 queen size. The queens were tough!!! Nothing fancy for the quilting. I have one for my bed that I am pretty sure that I will send out to have done.

I do my own. I hand quilt.

I will say seeing the work that Greenfairy has done, makes me think about it.

Blog Entries
    I do my own quilting. I have the HQ16. just quilted two queen tops yesterday and today. Have one more queen and a lap waiting. I want to try the Fun and Done and Cotton way. I have one of her patterns. Just need time. Anyone got any extra time they can send me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also do all my quilting by hand. I have done one wall hanging by machine... It was sooo quick!!!!

I also do all my applique work by hand. Tried with machine, but I seem to ask too much of myself by being too fussy.

I find quilting by hand very relaxing.

I've done all 3. I've only had 1 quilt sent out though. 75% of what I do are hand quilted.

I'e done all three. When I sent them to a loong arm quilter, I guess communication was not good, and the job done was not what I had asked for. So I do most of mine by hand, or by machine if in a time bind.

I do my own quilting. About 95% hand quilting. I use a lap hoop and fine it very relaxing. I just dont get very many done as I get bored with only one project at a time so it sometimes take me almost a year to get a queen sized quilt finished. However, when it is finished I know that it is all my work - mistakes and all.

Sorry about the spelling mistakes. I hate a lap top keyboard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast