Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Recognize this Machine?? >

Do You Recognize this Machine??

Do You Recognize this Machine??

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Looking at that excellent photo....it's my 99 in the flesh! Does it have a round, drop in bobbin? If it has an oval, sort of, bobbin case, it's not a 99. Mine is in a walnut cabinet, purchased in 1955....and stilll in good use.
It's not a featherweight, but I'd bank on 99. A wonderful, work horse of a little Singer....not to be found every day.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM

The seller just sent me this picture:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204452.jpe  
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM

I have the EXACT model.....you will never regret owning this machine, and it looks like it's in perfect condition. Right down to the felt spool pad....which mine is missing! the wonderful thing about it is that it will accept a low shank, screw on attachment to enable you to snap on all sorts of feet. And if the original feet and accessories come with it, that's another plus. Nothing makes better buttonholes than the Singer Buttonholer, which came with mine. And I have never had a narrow hemmer foot on later high priced machines, that does as neat a job as the one in the box of feet and fittings that were included. Back in 1955, I paid $99 for it....in a walnut cabinet, and the price included 6 lessons at the Singer Center on how to use the attachments. I always said $99 for a 99.....a bargain, indeed!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM

It looks like it's in great shape. I say buy it. $75 for a vintage machine is a fantastic bargain.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

The first picture is a 128 for sure. These are great little machines. The portable case generally is a Bentwood wooden case with the word Singer in gold on the case. The other ones were treadle machines. My 128 has a knee arm to operate it and it is a 3/4 machine. I love it. It does have a vibrating shuttle for the bobbin. The second one is a 99 and both are 3/4 machines. You can find them a little cheaper on E-bay, however you have to take into consideration the shipping cost. $75 is a good price in that condition.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
It's a 128, Vibrating Shuttle type with what look to be the La Vincedora decals. :) Very cool machine.

The "La Vincedora" decals were only put on the 3/4 machines (28 or 128) and the bobbin winder is up near the handwheel, so it's a 128.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by dniederhaus
Hello everyone, just thought that you would like to know that I still haven't heard from the seller. But I just posted another find here is the link:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/gms/2407102239.html
What do you all think???
DEFINITELY go for this one!
Modern bobbin - drops into the machine from the top.
I've got the hand crank version. :)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

So....which did you get???? I got a 128 last week- my 1st venture into the vintage models. I just love it...shutttle bobbin and all!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM

Can someone tell me what a vibrating shuttle is?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
Can someone tell me what a vibrating shuttle is?
I asked this earlier and here is a link that was posted:
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...vsshuttle.html
Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by gramalama9
I have the EXACT model.....you will never regret owning this machine, and it looks like it's in perfect condition. Right down to the felt spool pad....which mine is missing! the wonderful thing about it is that it will accept a low shank, screw on attachment to enable you to snap on all sorts of feet. And if the original feet and accessories come with it, that's another plus. Nothing makes better buttonholes than the Singer Buttonholer, which came with mine. And I have never had a narrow hemmer foot on later high priced machines, that does as neat a job as the one in the box of feet and fittings that were included. Back in 1955, I paid $99 for it....in a walnut cabinet, and the price included 6 lessons at the Singer Center on how to use the attachments. I always said $99 for a 99.....a bargain, indeed!
my mother got her's in the mid-50s as well, and my sister is still using it-I learned to sew on it. It is simple and sews a beautiful straight stitch-