Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember your 1st quilt? >

Do you remember your 1st quilt?

Do you remember your 1st quilt?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:19 AM

My first quilting project was a cushion cover and I made it about 2 years ago.

When I had my mid-morning coffee I used to like to watch a TV shopping channel called Create and Craft. One morning a lady demonstrated how to make a design using jelly roll strips. As I watch I found myself thinking ‘I could do that’ so I bought a jelly roll and I’ve been quilting ever since.

I’ve always enjoyed any sort of needlework and wish I had started quilting years ago as there are so many things I would like to try.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 PM

My first quilt was a baby quilt. I paper pieced cats. Had no idea about 1/4" seams, just sewed on the lines and tore off the paper. I made 4 quilts before I learned about the seam allowance! Talk about a slow learner...LOL I just found 20 blocks that have my "weird" seams. I've squared them up and may, just may, make them into a top. Oh well...I am so much better now with my quilting skills. It only took me 25 years!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:37 PM

I took a quilting class from the nicest teacher at a quilt shop. She talked about color value, but it didn't gel with me. I don't remember the name, but it has a fussy cut square in the center. All my points were good, but then after each block was made we had to put sashing with corner stones. Remember above I didn't get color value, well I didn't get what corner stone meant so I picked out fabric with stones. Every time she sees me we have a good laugh about my corner stones. That was at least 20 yrs. ago, and we still use it.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 PM

My first quilt was with my sister. We embroidered squares and then sewed and tied the quilt. We did it for a girl scout badge. I don't know what happened to it.

The quilt I consider my real first is a log cabin in peach and brown. Cut out with scissors and hand quilted in a large frame. The fabrics did not have much contrast but the colors were soft. It was on my bed for a long time.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 AM

My first quilt that I clearly remember was a baby quilt that I made for a gal I was working with. We had an office baby shower. I remember it well because a co-worker commented that they didn't think I made it, because I just wasn't talented enough to do that. This person delighted in cutting down others and often wallowed in her own misery. Fortunately I didn't pay any attention to her!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Oh yes! I inherited some basket blocks 42 years after my grandmother passed away. I knew nothing about quilting, but Papa said he remembered how the ladies put the quilts together. (This was somewhere in the 70's? Maybe early 80's. No help from You Tube!) Turned out Papa didn't remember as much as I had hoped, but somehow we managed to get the quilt put together, and I hand quilted it. It's too large for a throw, and really too small for a bed...but my girls cherish it and won't use it at all...so I suppose it will last a few years! Here is a picture....[ATTACH=CONFIG]615173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails first-quilt.jpg  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:46 AM

0 some years ago I decided I was going to make a quilt. Now the first thing you should know about me is that I do not know what half way is, no way no how! And I tend to just jump in and go for it. does it matter if I know what I am doing, well ya live and learn right? And just how hard can it be? it is just squares set in rows around the center, So off I go to the fabric store to get my fabric, ah oh I love the feel of tha lovely wine colored velvet! Ok got that, what next? ah that lovely off white satin, ok got that, and oh need some flower print cotton, great found an off white with little bitty wine colored flowers, and a rose print with off white little flowers! great, ok got the cotton.
Now for the pattern, I had decided on a puff quilt, 4 inch squares, in a trip around the world pattern. Great go to work right away, cut up a white sheet and made tons of squares, well maybe just 600, but seamed like more. Then I sewed three and a half sides of each set of square, the satin, velvet and cotton with the sheet on the back side of each, turned each one inside out, and stuffed them with polly fill. Yes I said Stuffed!!!!! them, sewed them closed,Such cute little pillows! Well they were so stuffed there was no way I could join them on the machine, so I hand sewed them all together! Well the top side looked OK but the back??? well off to the fabric store to get more of that cute cotton with the little wine colored flowers, sewed a piece together to cover the back side,how to join it? ah wine colored crochett cotton I tied at each cornor with the ties on the back side. then had to sew all around the edge by hand, remember I stuffed the little puff pillows. sO turned in the edges and sewed alway! Finally done!!! Hubby and I got the wheelbarrel and halued the quilt (I use the word quilt here VERy loosly) into it and wheeled it down the haLL to the bedroom to put it on the bed. ( I think i used 6 bags of polly fill)
Now if we had been living in Alaska at the time this thing might have been great, but I made my first quilt when we lived in souther California! I made cotton cutrains and round table cloths to go on the night stands, crocheted little dollies and trim for the curtains, I worked on the set for several weeks, and never did sleep under that, puff thing, LOL much too heavy, why you could not even turn over under that thing. Oh yes I think I have really come a long way sence that first attempt at making a quilt, I got some patterns, and took some classes, and found out how much I did not know, and I am still learning today, what a adventure quilting has taken me on!

Reply Reply With Quote
Blog this Post

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-23-2019, 05:31 PM

My first quilt was Eleanor Burn's Log Cabin Quilt in the Day. There were very few fabric colors. I wasn't able to do it in a day. I thought I had failed. Quilt police have a way of decreasing the desire to quilt.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
0 some years ago I decided I was going to make a quilt. Now the first thing you should know about me is that I do not know what half way is, no way no how! And I tend to just jump in and go for it. does it matter if I know what I am doing, well ya live and learn right? And just how hard can it be? it is just squares set in rows around the center, So off I go to the fabric store to get my fabric, ah oh I love the feel of tha lovely wine colored velvet! Ok got that, what next? ah that lovely off white satin, ok got that, and oh need some flower print cotton, great found an off white with little bitty wine colored flowers, and a rose print with off white little flowers! great, ok got the cotton.
Now for the pattern, I had decided on a puff quilt, 4 inch squares, in a trip around the world pattern. Great go to work right away, cut up a white sheet and made tons of squares, well maybe just 600, but seamed like more. Then I sewed three and a half sides of each set of square, the satin, velvet and cotton with the sheet on the back side of each, turned each one inside out, and stuffed them with polly fill. Yes I said Stuffed!!!!! them, sewed them closed,Such cute little pillows! Well they were so stuffed there was no way I could join them on the machine, so I hand sewed them all together! Well the top side looked OK but the back??? well off to the fabric store to get more of that cute cotton with the little wine colored flowers, sewed a piece together to cover the back side,how to join it? ah wine colored crochett cotton I tied at each cornor with the ties on the back side. then had to sew all around the edge by hand, remember I stuffed the little puff pillows. sO turned in the edges and sewed alway! Finally done!!! Hubby and I got the wheelbarrel and halued the quilt (I use the word quilt here VERy loosly) into it and wheeled it down the haLL to the bedroom to put it on the bed. ( I think i used 6 bags of polly fill)
Now if we had been living in Alaska at the time this thing might have been great, but I made my first quilt when we lived in souther California! I made cotton cutrains and round table cloths to go on the night stands, crocheted little dollies and trim for the curtains, I worked on the set for several weeks, and never did sleep under that, puff thing, LOL much too heavy, why you could not even turn over under that thing. Oh yes I think I have really come a long way sence that first attempt at making a quilt, I got some patterns, and took some classes, and found out how much I did not know, and I am still learning today, what a adventure quilting has taken me on!

Reply Reply With Quote
Blog this Post

lol, Leaha. I really enjoyed your story. I can only imagine what your husband said
about how heavy it was!
You sure are a go-getter. i just jumped in with no knowledge on my first one too.
Gigantic asterik on the back to stitch to the blanket filling.
Oh we knew what we were doing alright. It's the quilts that were going huh???
Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I wonder how many years have gone by (accumulatively), from beginning
quilters being put off by the quilt police?
I have a lot of opinions around here about quilts so i
finally learned to do what I want to do and I just try to block out the
racket. sheesh!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-24-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps