Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you sew over your pins?

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    Or do you remove them wehn you get to them? I'm getting very lazy; my Mom would holler at me if she knew, lol. She was a very frugal lady and would scold me for dulling my needle, etc. I know I should change needles more often than I do but if they seem to be doing the job.... :?

NO - NEVER
    I value my machine too much.

I did years ago before computerized machines but never now.

I used to, with my old machine. Now I have a good one, lol, no way I'll do that!

Banned
    not anymore. I have broke too many needles

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    I've probably been lucky, I have never broken a needle or even bent one! But I guess I better start removing them...

Nope. Never but I know how to do it manually (safely) should I ever want to do it.

Blog Entries
    I try really hard not to. The problem is not just breaking the needle but potentially throwing the timing off on your machine. Recently, someone wrote about using a much finer pin that does not get in the way and can be sewn over. Don't know anything about those.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I try really hard not to. The problem is not just breaking the needle but potentially throwing the timing off on your machine. Recently, someone wrote about using a much finer pin that does not get in the way and can be sewn over. Don't know anything about those.
    I use the fine pins, but even them, I try very hard to not sew over.

What are we pinning?!! LOL! I'm such a non-pinner, but I would be afraid to sew over them. If the needle hit them wouldn't it make a huge noise and break your needle? And what about the stick part of the pin impaling your eye and eye juice getting all over your fabric? And not to mention the horrid eye injury. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. But we need our eyes! You pin sewers be careful. I'm going to worry about you now... Instead of pinning, just "eyeball" it! LOL!

Eye juice! lol Just check the "shooter" box the next time you go to the eye doctor. They'll give you needle proof glasses.

I do sew over them with my Janome 9000 occasionally, but I try not to make a habit of it. I've broken needles and bent pins, so it's not a good practice.

NO.... I broke a needle doing that many years ago. Nowadays, quilting time is too precious to me to be dealing with that sort of consequence.

I used to, but wouldn't do it anymore!! It messes up the "alignment" or whatever it is in the computerized machines!

Needle breakage is the least of your problems. I don't normally sew over pins, but I missed one once, hit it directly on, and it broke a part in my Bernina that doesn't normally break. My machine was down for a month waiting for a $3.50 part. Seriously, that was MY cost, not the vendor's. On that same quilt, made 8 years ago, and quilted about that long ago, sat on, washed, sat on some more, slept under - I just found a pin a month ago between the top and the batting. PULL THOSE PINS!!!

Yikes. I will be even more aware and instead of removing 98% I'll aim for 100%!

Ive had the broken pieces fly out at me, and I try my hardest to get them all but sometimes ya know it just happens :(

No, not if I can help it. Once in a while I may miss one but it's by accident.

Blog Entries
    With my mother's Singer Featherweight and with my old Viking, I sewed over pins. Never hit one, never a problem. Wouldn't be caught dead doing that with my Janome or any other newer machine....

Need to work on getting that featherweight away from my sister! ~grin~

I leave pins in all the time. Are you all using satin pins/flower heads? I don't leave in glass heads but as long as you slow down right at the pin, I've not had a problem.

I do not sew over my pins - learned the hard way it's not too great on the machine!!

Pins? I don't use them when I'm sewing. My piecing is all so simple that I don't have to. Maybe someday if I ever try one of the more complicated patterns.

Blog Entries
    Nope, I learned the hard way years ago, that it throws the timing off. Took me 2 or 3 times of having it fixed, to learn. That was with my old White machine. I've never done it since, so have no idea about the newer macihnes. Too chicken to try it! lol!!
    :)

Blog Entries
    Oh gosh--I'm making those Triple Irish Chain squares and there are 36 seams to pin in every other square. Eeek. I used to sew over pins--with my old singer. But--with my Baby Lock, I stopped. I'm afraid it'll do too much damage if I hit one direct--again. :roll:

Definitely don't sew over the pins. I use to, but after breaking needles, bending pins, causing the fabric to tear, I decided it was easier and cheaper to take the pins out before getting there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast