Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class

Blog Entries

Talking Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class

come up to table while you are trying to complete the step of the lesson either asking for help or wanting to talk about how they are finished. I am slow to learn a new ways of doing things. Once I can think it though I have it. But I need time to think ! I don't want to be rude but I paid for the class too. Help how do you handle unwanted attention?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I usually am one of the last people to understand 'how to' do the new way of making a block. I just took a class and was second to the last being done. Everyone was yapping and it was hard for me to concentrate, but I loved the camaraderie. I just had to learn 'how to' and finish when I came home.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I like working by myself and taking my own advice. I read on a subject all I can find, pictures and words are the easiest for me. I can refer back when I need to. I do learn lots that way. I am not a joiner of anything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am not a "roamer", though I am a talker. I usually pick up the lessons fairly quickly, but I am a slow sewer, so am usually behind everyone. If I'm concentrating, I usually don't answer or answer in one word responses. It usually gets the point across and they go on to the next table.

Blog Entries
    If someone asks for help when I'm concentrating on a project I tell them the instructor is paid to help not me. I think it's rude so I don't mind being short with those type of people.
    Got fabric?

I try to sit as far away from everyone as I can. Im friendly but I am there to learn, classes are usually a one day thing, and I need to concentrate. Im not a talker either.

Blog Entries
    you might mention this to the instructor before class begins. that way he or she can keep an eye out for anyone that might seem to be bothering you.

Blog Entries
    generally the instructor should be paying enough attention to her class to notice if someone is doing this- and re-direct the person being 'disruptive' there is nothing wrong with either telling the person who is asking for help that you are just learning too- she should ask the class instructor- as for the 'other one' who disrupts because she is finished ahead of everyone else- I would probably either excuse myself and have a word with the teacher- who should deal with it- or I may choose to be a bit more 'blunt' and say---i'd be done too if I was given the opportunity to work on it in peace. when I spend money on a class I do expect the instructor to start the class with some 'guidelines'-instructions that address these issues- she is there for questions- and it is not ok to keep others from their work- i'm not saying it isn't ok to work together if 2 people choose to- but it should be mutual, agreed on and ok'd ahead of time with the instructor.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I turn to the teacher and call for her, something like, "Betty, she was just asking about .....whatever it is.....what's the best way to do that?" and then let Betty take over. As to the others, most people respond to a "I'm sorry, I can't really talk and concentrate on this."

Monika.... good response!

Blog Entries
    Sorry but my problem at classes is those individuals who know the teacher very well or kow-tow (sorry about spelling) to a teacher and keep them to themselves.
    I agree some are a pain. I was very new to quilting 6months and a lady came and changed my foot fiddled with the machine and went off saying that's better. Luckily the lady by my side was an instructor in her own right and came to me and said do you need help. My reply what did she do? Second lady put it all back.
    Although these people think they are being helpful or just showing knowledge they can cause problems as we attend a class to follow the instructors techniques in order to learn.
    I have a label it says keep off I place on my machine now. Although I love to chat at coffee breaks and lunch.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'm also a talker, but I'm also a slow learner becuz I'm a hands on person or would rather have visuals, so I take alot of notes. I also don't want to be rude or offend someone who's help I may need at a later time, so what I usually do is tell them is,"I'm sorry, but I didn't understand it either & perhaps it would be better if they direct their question to the instructor. I'm sure she/he will be more than happy to repeat that part of the lesson again to them". Alot of times, I find that if I say that & point them to the instructor & give them the instructors name, they scoot off in that direction. Sometimes if they return with an answer to share, by that time I have gone on with my projects, uninterrupted, & I can then let them know that I fugured it out while they were gone or reviewed my notes or lesson & went on with my project. If I'm ahead by then, then I don't mind helping.
    Sew much fabric....sew little time.

Blog Entries
    I also liked Monika's suggestion. Fortunately, I have not had this experience yet but my guess is that most instructors are privy to this situation.

yep that good one you must be a mom lol But yes I'm sorry is the best way to put it. after class if you like to talk then it ok.

That's why I don't do classes. Self-taught, and waaay more than I'll ever learn for free right here on this computer!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

The best teacher I ever had announced at the beginning of the class the she had been paid to teach the technique so if there were any questions please make sure to ask her since your neighbor is also learning and may accidentally steer you in the wrong direction. Best class I ever took because she would actually keep an eye on everything and interrupt if someone was trying to get help from their neighbor.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I'm concentrating on trying to listen to what the instructor is saying and some one comes up to me, I just hold my index finger up and say "Just a second, I don't want to miss what the instructor said. If they continue to talk then I just say "PLEASEEEEEE I WANT TO HEAR HER/HIM". If they don't pay attention to my index, they may get my middle.

I am a widow and I love taking classes. We don't really have that problem because our instructor is the best. She roams and helps when help is needed but there are some that are very good and fast and they are wonderful about helping when the instructor is busy. I love going there and being with other quilters. If it were not for that shop and the friends I made there I would have had a much harder time when my husband passed away. It's my happy place.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Blog Entries
    Don't take many classes for the reasons mentioned above...prefer using books and videos to learn. For some of us there's a monetary factor as well. When I spend $100 or so on fabric, book, special rulers, etc. to attend a class I want the full measure of that class and, even though I may not finish it there I want to master the technique before I leave so that I know what I'm doing when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I like working by myself and taking my own advice. I read on a subject all I can find, pictures and words are the easiest for me. I can refer back when I need to. I do learn lots that way. I am not a joiner of anything.
    OMG, sisters under the skin! That is so me. I teach myself everything. If I can read and understand something then I can--usually-- learn how to do it.

I take classes through the Canadian County Cooperative Extension Center(Oklahoma State University). Haven't had any of those things happen to me. Love meeting with the other ladies and exchanging ideas. One class I took was a Broken Star type pattern. The instructor kept trying to stress the 1/4" seam, a must. I finished one part before the rest of the class and she was using mne as an example. I love doing the "Star" patterns and had done quite a few, so I said if your seam on these isn't 1/4 then that kinda throws everything off. The instructor, while no one was looking, said Thank you for saying that. Sometimes they just don't listen to me. LOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Blog Entries
    I totally understand and it's so easy to get distracted. I'm also one that needs visual learning. I normally will try to be nice but not encourage conversation, this normally will let others know I'm not interested in talking at that time. I need be I'll let them know I'll talk after I'm done. I agree, I paid to learn and when I leave I want to know as much as possible. Some people take the classes for social contact and not because they need to learn; I'm not one of those.
    Judy

I'm usually slow in a sewing/quilting class also and I don't know why since I'm normally ahead of any university or other class. But if someone wants to chat, I'll probably asked them how they did what I'm trying to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I totally understand and it's so easy to get distracted. I'm also one that needs visual learning. I normally will try to be nice but not encourage conversation, this normally will let others know I'm not interested in talking at that time. I need be I'll let them know I'll talk after I'm done. I agree, I paid to learn and when I leave I want to know as much as possible. Some people take the classes for social contact and not because they need to learn; I'm not one of those.
    I agree with this statement.....I do hate to be rude to anyone, but sometimes it is all I can do to keep up with the teacher in the first place.....so I need to pay attention to the teacher.

Blog Entries
    "Sorry, can't talk right now. I'm trying to figure this out."
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast