Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? >

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM

I was taught to get the straight of grain this way.......

Fold the fabric selvage to selvage. Then hold it out in front of you. If there is a distinct bump or fold along the folded edge, then manipulate the selvage edges by scooching them along, one in one direction and the other in the other direction, until the fold disappears and the fabric lays flat. Then even off the cut the edges with a ruler and a rotary cutter.

Works every time!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 AM

You can loose more fabric if the fabric is cut off grain at the store. To get the fabric to lie flat, I pull from opposite ends and corners (on the bias) until the fabric lies flat when folded selvege to selvege. But in the end, it is all about personal preference.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 AM

I'm a ripper !!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 AM

I do for borders. Its just easier or if I am making something like dog crate covers. Measure Rip, Measure , Rip. I have a rectangle the right size. Its so much easier than trying to cut the right size. Backing if I have to piece one, rip. Sometimes if I am really lazy I will rip strips for sashings just a little wider then cut them even. I find I don't get that V in the middle like I do if I cut from the bigger piece. And I have starched Ironed straightened smoothed till I am blue in the face and still get the V.
I have always ripped , I think because I use to work in a fabric shop long,long ago that had the measuring machines that clipped , then we tore.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 AM

I always wash my fabric - cause I am allergic to some of the chemicals on it - fold and cut. If you fold it right, it lines up perfectly. take selvedge edges together, and you can see how the fold will lay, if it lays straight, it should be on grain. I really really hate ripping fabric, it makes the edges stretch and get fuzzy
Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 AM

I think it's a waste of time and a waste of fabric. When the quilting is done, there will be no movement or distortion, as the quilting will hold everything in place, and there was probably no problem anyway.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 AM

The only time I rip fabric is when I need to do a backing and insert a piece in the middle, so do rip then and also the selvages off....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM

i am 72 was taught to rip by my home ec teacher in 7th grade and still do it but i doubt we had rotary cutters then
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 AM

The only time I tear fabric is for my backings. I find it stretches too much for piecing. And with rotary cutters, I don't fuss over grain anymore.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM

I was getting my backing fabric ready last night and thought I would rip it to get a straight edge. Well I learned a lesson, 1st you need to rip one edge, then measure and rip the other end. I didn't rip the 1st edge and my fabric was way off. Ended up having to cut some off the border of quilt, because I did not want to piece my backing.