Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt? >

Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt?

Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 AM

Hello! :D I have used all 3 ways to hand quilt. I like to use a quilt frame for a big quilt. I hand baste all three layers and then baste onto a muslin strip I tacked onto each of the supports. I like it to be be pretty tight. I use John James #12 gold needles. Am hoping to get a quilt into the frame after Christmas, perhaps I will be able to take a picture of it and post it on here. My quilting has gone to the sidelines for the past couple of years as I have been doing crocheting, knitting, cross stitch, and also working on putting cross stitch designs onto my puter to send to my Viking Designer SE to stitch out. Life is toooo short.....need about 10 more lifetimes to finish it all.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 AM

I have hand quilted for years using a hoop. The quilt in my avatar the GMFG is still on the oval hoop that I use. I like the quilt pretty snug on the hoop to start wtih this way I can be sure there will be no puckering. I have been giving my hands a break here lately as I am using my Grace system right now, just learning something new and giving the Arthritis in my hands a much needed break
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by prairiequeen
Now I have another ? I watched Alex Anderson blog on hand quilting she said to start with a Size 7 betweens needle,Went to look aat needles found between 7 and 7 quilting and are two different sizes really confused. Might I have to give up before I even start.
I wouldn't let that stop you!

Everyone is different, and what worked for Alex and what worked for me will be entirely different. When I started, I bought a pack with several different size needles. I found the size 9 worked better for me, then worked down to size 11.

Whenever I see a new needle brand, I buy a pack just to try. Right now, my favorite is Richard Hemmings size 11.

Janet
Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 AM

I have both an old-fashioned circular embroidery hoop (but large enough for quilts) and a standing circular quilt hoop. But I find that if I baste my quilts ala Sharon Shambers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA), I don't need a hoop at all.

-- jillaine
Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 AM

I always like to quilt on my 24" hoop. If you stab stitch to quilt then the quilt should be tight, but if - like me - you "rock the needle" then before you tighten the screw on the hoop, punch the centre of the quilt to loosen it. Then you have a bit of "play" to rock the needle.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 AM

I have a hoop I use in my lap for smaller quilts or the outside edges of a large quilt. I also have a Hinterburg round floor hoop for when I do larger quilts and quilt close to the center. It supports the outside edges better. After puttung the quilt in the hoop give it a small push in the center to loosen it up somewhat and give it some give.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 AM
GG

I JUST HAD TO HAVE THE NICE HOOP ON A SMALL CIRCLE FRAME AND FOUND OUT AFTER ONE QUILT THAT MY BACK COULD NOT STAND THAT. SO I STILL HAVE IT BUT HAVE USED A 10 INCH HOOP SINCE 1989 I HAVE MADE 12 KING SIZE AND 55 LAP OR BABY SIZES AND NOT COUNTING THE ONES FOR CHARITY QUILTS. YES IT CAN BE DONE AND I WORK 40 HOURS OR MORE A WEEK BUT HELPS ME RELAX AND HIDES A LOT OF MY FEELINGS AS I THINK AND QUILT. GG
Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 AM

I do not use either. As long as it is well basted and a corner is held down for tension I can quilt anywhere. Use the running stitch so my left hand is underneath manipulating the fabric. You can easily get nice even small stitches.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 AM

If it was a small project I used a hoop and with large quilts I made a frame with 2X4 lumber and c clamps. Told you I was old.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 AM

I use an oval hoop on a stand. I also keep mine a little taught so the backing is smooth.