Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available? >

Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available?

Do you use the free patterns the fabric manufacturers make available?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I save them in my computer in My Documents in a folder labled Quilt Patterns and look through the computer folder when I need some ideas for a quilt. Like many others here I usually don't use the colors in the pattern but choose my own color combinations.
Yea May, this is the way to go! Let's all save some trees!
I sub catergorize my patterns too: throws, kids, bed-size, tabletop, etc. Makes finding them easier. And, if we have a laptop, we can even sit back in an easy chair with our tea and browse our patterns just as well as if they were printed in a notebook.
I also catergorize my patterns. Right now I'm surfing the net for patterns that might work for a challenge quilt that depicts The Jersey Shore. When I find a pattern I think might work I save it right into that folder. Most times when I do this I end of making a quilt that is a combination of several patterns. If I printed out every pattern I thought I might make someday I would need to built another room on our house.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM

[quote=May in Jersey]
I save them in my computer in My Documents in a folder labled Quilt Patterns and look through the computer folder when I need some ideas for a quilt. Like many others here I usually don't use the colors in the pattern but choose my own color combinations.
I also catergorize my patterns. Right now I'm surfing the net for patterns that might work for a challenge quilt that depicts The Jersey Shore. When I find a pattern I think might work I save it right into that folder. Most times when I do this I end of making a quilt that is a combination of several patterns.
Wow May, the perfect thing for you would be something depicting all the wonderful birdwatching that is available at Cape May in New Jersey!!! Or is The Jersey Shore something different then the seashore in New Jersey? LOL
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

[quote=wildyard]
I also catergorize my patterns. Right now I'm surfing the net for patterns that might work for a challenge quilt that depicts The Jersey Shore. When I find a pattern I think might work I save it right into that folder. Most times when I do this I end of making a quilt that is a combination of several patterns.
Wow May, the perfect thing for you would be something depicting all the wonderful birdwatching that is available at Cape May in New Jersey!!! Or is The Jersey Shore something different then the seashore in New Jersey? LOL
Thanks for reminding me about birdwatching, that's a good one. All the gals in my small group are making quilts for this challenge and we're all trying to do something different because we'll be displaying them at our Guild's show in May. I know without the internet and advice from members here I wouldn't have a clue about what my quilt should look like.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:51 PM

I have a MAJOR collection of free patterns. Some free patterns are really wonderful including some of the patterns put up by the fabric manufacturers. Sometimes, however, the patterns are merely traditional patterns done in a particular line of their fabrics. I don't bother with those patterns.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Sally. the only time I bought the suggested fabrics, my husband and I visited a shop in Shawnee OKla in November, the fabrics were 1/2price and my husband fell in love with the quilt on the wall, asked me can you make that , Am I stupid?? I just had the 830 Bernina as a gift from my sistert, so we bought the material at 1/2 price went back to the ranch in Meeker I found I was short because I wanted a king size not a queen, so I had to add extra material to that to make it for him, He had never had a quilt of his own to cuddle under when he slept, now he has one , took me a year to make it , it was called "the journey" . It was our first journey to Okla to visit his friend in Meeker , I lov emaking quilts from scraps, I just celebrated my 77 birthday, had some money gifts so I ordered 100 fat quartes, Am I ever going to have fun. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

Absolutely! Most of the time I use what I have in my stash.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM

I've saved MANY> Have made some with my own stash. Very few will I make as I can't get all the fabrics in the suggested list without a lot of searching. I use them for class projects as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM

i have used the patterns but dont always use there material
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM

i use their patterns. sometimes i use the fabric but mostly file for later use in notebooks. sue
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM

I have made one, copied many, bought sugessted fabric,color wasn't close to what was shown. I have one now, I planned to use. I pre-ordered fabric last May-R.Kauman line in Peweter. I hope in comes in soon!!!.Tinker