Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use the magnetic knife holders to keep your scissors? >

Do you use the magnetic knife holders to keep your scissors?

Do you use the magnetic knife holders to keep your scissors?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
I've had every kind of scissor trick known to quilters to make sure they can be right w/in reach...:)Prob the most dangerous one for me was the one you actually attach to yourself and the scissors are on a string pull that retracts...not safe:)If you quilted in a standing position, this might work!LOL I did use that when I was hand quilting and kept the scissors ''on the piece I was quilting that way(pin it to the quilt). I find the best old method to easily find my scissors is a scissor 'faub'. You can make them yourselves! I found an old vintage type necklace...took a section out of it...attached a piece to be able to attach the faub to my scissors...and, no matter where I put them, they are easy to find and easy to pick up...even if by the end fo the faub:) This also makes your scissors different in a group and not mistaken for someone elses. I attach usually a charm or something on the very end. If you sew w/a basket by your chair , this is the tail that will be hanging over your sewing basket...so, you just grab the end of the faub and pull them out to use. Not only is it practical....but, fun finding faub stuff:)Skeat...who has the magnet pocket thing for snippets....I never use the magnet other then to hold the pocket where I need it:)
I taped a plastic (heavy) bag, about the size of the scissors, to the edge of my sewing table. It hangs down and I just slide my scissors into that. Very handy....The pair that I use on the cutting table hangs on a peg on the peg board in reaching distance. That works well too.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM

I use a magnetic strip on the wall about five feet from my machine and the pin-pickerupper sits with pencils below it. No problems over several years. I think you would have problems if you stuck something magnetic on your computerized machine. As for losing scissors, mine are sacrosanct. My husband has a stash of them in each room along with a flashlight; he never saw a scissors in a dollar store that he didn't like.Fine by me.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
sap

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have been considering that in my new room. If you use them how do you like them?

Instead of a magnet I use a peg board in back of my machine mounted on the wall and use the "hooks" like in stores to hang my sissors on. Works well for me.