Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use a Quilting Journal? >
  • Do you use a Quilting Journal?

• Do you use a Quilting Journal?

Old 01-01-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Do you use a Quilting Journal?

Do you have one? Did you make your own or is there one that you purchased that you like? My goal this year is to document the items I make or plan to make in an organized, systematic way.. Going to give it a try anyway. I have been very productive this year, for me--one of the silver linings of staying home. Happy New Year! Stay safe and be smart!
    Mary Ann
    Old 01-01-2021, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

Happy New Year to you!
    I have a couple of quilt journals, really pretty, fresh clean pages just waiting for me to write. I have had them for over ten years and not a word in any of them. LOL I do take pictures of all my quilts and each year I have the pictures printed in a booklet.
    Old 01-01-2021, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

I have one but I've never used it!! I would like to get in the habit but never seem to. Maybe I'll start today
    Old 01-01-2021, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

Nope, I’d rather be doing than writing about doing.
    Old 01-01-2021, 07:49 AM

Timely post! That sounds like a great idea for the new year!
    Old 01-01-2021, 10:04 AM

Bought a nice one years ago at a quilt show. Never wrote in it but it's stuffed full of pictures of quilts I've made. Guess I should document them someday.
    Old 01-01-2021, 11:19 AM

I do have a quilting journal, but perhaps it would be more accurate to call it a quilting workbook. Each project has its own section where I write down the date started, name of the pattern, type of batting, dimensions of the block, and sizes of the pieces. I draw out the units on graph paper, write down what type of batting I used, what kind of thread, and the width of the binding. It helps me to be able to refer back to this info as I work. I write down what went well and what I want to do differently next time.
    Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Its a good time to start - Happy New Year!! Doing it on the computer where you can add pictures is nice!
    Old 01-01-2021, 12:16 PM

I got one in the advent calendar box I bought from MSQC and I quite like it. I print a photo of each quilt and them make notes on how things went, what worked and what didn't, and what I'd like to try or do differently next time. I also include the name and creator of the pattern and fabric, if I can remember, in case I want to find/use it again. ! I'm not good at putting labels on my quilts, so this journal provides a record of each one.
    Old 01-01-2021, 01:31 PM

In a way I have one. I use a Mead Cambridge Busness notebook. It's 9 1/2 x 5 3/8, 80 pages. I ordered a dozen direct from Mead when Office Max sold out to Office Depot. What I like about them is they are narrow ruled, have lines on the front of the page and a quad grid on the back of the page. I made a quilted cover and take it to meetings, draw out blocks, and plan for quilts. I like the yellow paper ones but I have had them printed on white paper too. I have them for several years back and it's handy to look up something I planned to do or to redo.