Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use a Seam Clapper? >

Do You Use a Seam Clapper?

Do You Use a Seam Clapper?

Old 01-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Default Do You Use a Seam Clapper?

I have seen an advertisement for a seam clapper (basically a block of wood rounded to fit you hand). Supposedly if you press it down on a seam after you iron it, it helps it lay flatter. Does any one use a clapper? Does it work? When I press blocks, I don't use steam. Do you have to use steam for them to work? My husband does woodworking, so I thought I could ask him to make me one, if they work. What is your experience? TIA
Old 01-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

My husband made me one from a heavy type of wood ( old pallet), 13 by 2 3/4 in. He put a handle on top. I use it all the time for smaller blocks. No you do not need to use steam. Put it on and let the seam cool. Besure not to put any finnish on the wood. I originally had it without a handle but love it with it more.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:02 PM

Love my clappers, I have 4 so that I can allow the seams to cool completely. You would be amazed how flat they are!
Old 01-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

We just had a discussion on this. Maybe try the search function. I use one on occasion if the seams need it
Old 01-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

When there are many intersecting seams in the middle of a block, it really helps to set those seams to reduce the bulk.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM

The clapper is an old tailoring tool. Especially with steam, it helps set the seam. Another tool I use when there are many seams intersecting is a rubber mallet. It not only flattens a seam, it gets out a lot of Covid frustration.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:54 AM

Yes, I use my wood clapper all the time...it is great for laying seams flat, especially those with many intersections or when I want to press seams open.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Been using one since Home Ec class. They use to be common to find on every ironing board when a good crease was needed in jeans and khakis.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM

I don't use a clapper, but I pounce/press down (gently) with my iron after I have sprayed vodka "Best Press" on the seam.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I've been thoroughly cleaning my sewing room for 7 days and I am amazed at all the gadgets I have that I don't use. I don't know what the one you mentioned is but I don't want one more thing in my room LOL