Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine? >

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Yes for everything in my sewing room all the time. I often still unplug, especially my iron and Sweet Sixteen. I thought I was once told back when I got my first computer (a desktop) we could get surges at anytime, not just when there are storms.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 AM

They are important but know this. Those little cheap ones, you get what you pay for. If there is a little serge (which you may never know) it stops what little protection they offer but the light still works but at that point, all they are good for is an extension cord. Buy a good one, when you look at the price just remember how much you spent and how much replacement cost would be for a new machine. It'd be cheaper for me to replace laptop than my machines
Old 06-08-2014, 04:21 PM

All of my machines , when plugged in are in a surge protector, always
Old 06-08-2014, 07:10 PM

I have a battery pack surge protector for every machine. I was at a quilt retreat with my Bernina 440 and ruined the mother board, because of low power flow. My dealer told me to use one with a battery unit to keep continuous flow to the machine. I have told my guild members this story, but it happened to another quilter a few years ago. They are only 40-50 dollars at Best Buy, and worth every penny. Low power flow is just as dangerous to your machine as too much power.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

we have lost a refrigerator compressor and a whole freezer and a stove to surges, so you better believe
I do have most things on a surge protector.
Since they can be a bit pricey for the industrial type ones, I buy that kind for my machine. I won't grieve
an appliance like I would my Rosie!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I have a battery pack surge protector for every machine. I was at a quilt retreat with my Bernina 440 and ruined the mother board, because of low power flow. My dealer told me to use one with a battery unit to keep continuous flow to the machine. I have told my guild members this story, but it happened to another quilter a few years ago. They are only 40-50 dollars at Best Buy, and worth every penny. Low power flow is just as dangerous to your machine as too much power.
You'd think I would have known better. I do, but I had a "Super-Wave", which is much like the Nuwave.
I absolutely loved it, but didn't pay any mind to the fact that I was plugging it in an outlet that had a
strip of other things plugged in there...hence, low voltage ruined my Superwave machine
Don't use extension cords unless your stuff is very low wattage items like a clock or a small lamp.
It's dangerous to plug too many things into one outlet.
...and i knew better. (kicking my own rear end!)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Not only do I keep all my machines on surge protectors . . .but I keep spare surge protectors in each of my travel bags so I have one when I travel. It's important to make certain to have real surge protectors and not simply power strips.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Definitely -- had a lightning strike a tree not far from my sewing room. It blew out the serge protector but the 2 machines and serger are fine. Well worth the money. I have too much money invested in the machines to take a chance on them getting burned out.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Interesting that this posting is still 'alive'! lol When I was teaching machine embroidery classes I had the most difficult time convincing my class that a Battery Back Up Surge Protector was a very important item to purchase for their very expensive machines! No one had even heard of such a thing in 2001/2002! The area where I live has a lot of power variations every day. As soon as someone told me about surge protectors I went out and purchased one, it cost me $50 for one that has 12 minutes of battery before shutting down. It works perfectly, plenty of time to back out and shut down my embroidery machines. I also ALWAYS take it in our RV as campground are notorious for electric surges or brownouts! I would never be without one again. WE have them on our computers and well as our Home Theater system components too. BBSP's are critically important with these computerized machines! Way too much money spent on my machines to take a chance.. just my 2 cents worth and JMHO.