Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you usually make a test block before making your quilts?

Never make a test block, but think it is great idea

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    No, I never do. I doubt it would make any difference, since I already have the fabrics. I'd still make it the way I had planned. I hate practicing.
    In an earlier life I ran life-work planning workshops for women. I often used the Myer-Briggs Personality Type indicator.
    I was, and no doubt still am, an ESTP - we hate practicing.
    I haven't though about that work in quite a while, your comment popped it right back.

I really don't do it intentionally but I only cut enough for one or 2 blocks at a time. So I guess if I do not like it I can change it around. Now I know what I can do with some baseball and other sports fabrics I have made up and not like.

i dont because i am wanting to hurry and get started on the quilt making i have never been dissapointed yet on a pattern i have picked out

Bev
    Yes I usually do. There's always an exception to the rule though. If I've done it before, of course I don't. If it's basically so simple a child could do it, I don't. But I feel better when I do it. That way I can see right up front if I'm going to like it and the fabrics I'm putting into it, and also I can tell just how difficult and time consuming it will be. 8-)

No I don't have a lot time so iam anxious to get goin'.

Yes, I usually make a test block. I keep a stash of red, white and blue and make the block with those colors, Before you know it I have enough blocks to sash and make a Quilt of Valor sampler. I started this when I started quilting 5-6 years ago and have been able to donate way more QOV's than I would have thought.

Little Miss CraftyBear, when do I have time to do a test block since I am STILL playing "8 Letters in Search of a Word"?
    Elizabeth

Banned
    If theres a lot of piecing on it, or if I change the dimensions to fit a certian size, yes i will do a test block.

nope sure dont, dont have the time, if I want an extra quilt, that is a different story

I don't use different fabric but I usually cut out all the pieces for one of them and sew it together. I can see if I need to adjust something, move the seam allowance a tic or two, or that the seam allowance needs to be pressed a different way if I'm using directions.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    No, but it is a great idea. I heard of one lady that makes a test patch from Christmas fabrics and then when she has enough for a quilt she puts them all together as a sampler. Clever idea.
    I rarely make a test block, but doing it with Christmas fabric would make sense, or with red, white and blue for a Quilt of Valor! Super idea, thanks!!!

I usually make my test block out of paper.

Blog Entries
    you still playing that game, ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth
    Little Miss CraftyBear, when do I have time to do a test block since I am STILL playing "8 Letters in Search of a Word"?
    Elizabeth

yes, craftycritter, I am still playing that game. I suggest you devote hours of your life to it too!
    Elizabeth

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, but what a great idea, expeacilay when I don't have any to waste. Thank you for the ideas. God bless.

Power Poster
    No I dont't. I just want to get started and don't want to wast time but maybe I should.

Dee
    Thanks for sharing. Thats a great idea.

Thats where I get all my placemats

Blog Entries
    I always make a test block. That way I can change things around before I get too far. Sometimes, just a different color of one of the blocks can make a world of difference. I have found that if I don't like the test block, then I have a hard time working on the whole quilt.
    nanac

Blog Entries
    I always make a test block. That way I can change things around before I get too far. Sometimes, just a different color of one of the blocks can make a world of difference. I have found that if I don't like the test block, then I have a hard time working on the whole quilt.
    nanac

I'm glad I read this after ripping apart my GD quilt. Nothing was working for me - having to do everything twice to 'make it fit'. No more! I am for sure going to make a test block first. It also helps if I would cut things the right size.(embarrassed smiley, here)

Haven't yet, but when making BOM's, samplers, and mystery quilts, it doesn't work too well. I make a lot of pot holders and candlemats so do try different blocks and have found a few that are on my "never do again" list.

Blog Entries
    I don't, but then I mostly use simple blocks.

great Idea to make the samples out of a theam fab, except you cant see what the fabs you are going to use will look like.... but you can draw out then glue the sections

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast