Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From? >

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

How interesting! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MissM
Since this is the harvest season for cotton I thought you might be interested in seeing some of these pics.
Thank you MissM for posting these photos. I've never seen the cotton fields before. Very beautiful beginnings of fabric (& other stuff).
Ellen
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks for posting. Have wanted to see cotton fields but we never head south at the right time. Could be we are planting or harvesting corn and soybeans at the same time :)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM

great Idea. I have seen cotton growing all my life. I even got a tour of a cotten gin as a child. a cousin owned it. It and he are gone now, but I remember.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM

That being said, so is the phrase "Oil Field Trash" as are so many other class status insults which could refer to many types of working people. I was born and raised here in Texas in the oil field area, with my dad working in the oil field and he always made a good living for his family. I never did then nor do I now consider myself or my family or any of the people who worked or are still working in the oil field as "trash". But I guess that the people who lived in large cities and worked in offices and didn't really get "dirty", must have thought that they were above any of us or a little better I guess would be another way of putting it. I was always raised and taught that if anyone worked and made an Honest day's wages, no matter what type of work it was or is, they should never be put down in any way. So many people take so much for granted and never think of where things actually come from or the workers who perform the work and how difficult it is for various products to be produced. O.K. off my soap box for now, not indending to offend anyone, but I felt that this just had to be said. We should never verbally abuse or be little someone because of the type of job that they have or perform. Those who are able to work are doing so to make a living for themselves and their families. I really feel so sorry for all of the people who are out of work at this time and who are not able to get a job, prayers that thngs will soon turn around for all of them.[/quote]

Thank you for saying this! I was a farmers daughter in the midwest. We have traveled to large cities where people have no idea the amount of hard work it takes to put food on THEIR tables and yet think they can look down on a farmer. We have a saying here "Never cuss a farmer with your mouth full." I agree that anyone who works hard and earns an honest living should be respected.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the pictures. I always learn something from this forum.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Never saw this until we moved to Phoenix Az. Thanks for sharing your pictures. It appears many have never seen a cotton field before. We don't grow cotton in Canada.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

thank you, have never seen this, knew about it ,wonderful.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for posting those pics. No cotton plants up here so it was nice to see what they look like.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 PM

thanks for sharing