Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you wash wall hanging quilts? or show quilts?

Do you wash wall hanging quilts? or show quilts?

I have seen on several different places about placing the finished quilts in water and rinsing them, then drying flat to block it. If I don't have marks to remove, is this necessary?

I never wash my wall hangings. I have a smoke free home. I just throw them in the dryer with a bounce dryer sheet. Quilts that I make to enter in a Juryed Show I do not wash either. I should also say I do not pre-wash my fabric.

I don't wash my quilts either. I buy dry cleaning sheets and this is all I do to clean them. Of course most of my fabric is pre-washed before I use it.
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I never wash my wall hangings. I have a smoke free home. I just throw them in the dryer with a bounce dryer sheet. Quilts that I make to enter in a Juryed Show I do not wash either. I should also say I do not pre-wash my fabric.
    same here at my house
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Yes, I wash everything.

It depends. If the quilt hangs straight, then I wouldn't bother. If you want to block it but the quilt is clean, you can dampen it with water from a spray bottle and block it.

Janet

I'm anothr quilter who washes EVERYTHING before I begin the project.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I always pre-wash my fabrics. And if I want the quilt to have that crinkly look, I will wash it. Don't usually wash wallhangings - just toss them in the dryer to freshen them up when I switch them out, and then press them with Best Press before I re-hang them.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I don't pre-wash ever and I don't wash wall hangings. If they get dusty I'll use the sticky roller on them. I do wash other quilts after they're finished.

I prewash my fabric. i also clean my quilts in cool water. we live in smoke free house
    but in winter run a corn burner. so things can get dusty and a smoky.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any show quilts but I do make a lot of wall hangings and "no" I don't wash them. They usually don't hang long enough to get dirty. I give them a good shake and store them lying flat on a spare bed. I use some embellishments that wouldn't wash well.

I block all finished work, usually by dry blocking on syrofoam insulation panels. Quilt University has a great article on both methods, wet and dry.
    http://www.quiltuniversity.com/blocking.htm
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

KR
    My fabrics go straight into the washer before joining their stash sisters. Wall hangings may get spritzed with water and then ironed or blocked to dry. Lint rollers are great for picking up stray threads. Quilts that will be used go right in the washer when finished....cold water, gentle cycle. If it's going in a show it will be blocked while still damp and pressed when dry.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

Because of allergies and using heavy starch, I wash everything several times.