Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your quilts in hot water >

Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 AM

Default Do you wash your quilts in hot water

Do y'all wash your quilts in hot water after they're completed to make sure they play nice in case the recipient has a brain dump and puts them in hot water? I always use warm water, but if there's a possibility it'll end up in hot water, should I use hot water too?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 AM

I don't use hot water, and I wouldn't. Make a label saying warm or cool water only and then whatever happens it really isn't your worry.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:38 AM

I wash my fabrics, warm water and dryer.....then when I give my quilt, I ask that they be washed in cool water and either line dry or tumble on low. I haven't heard of any problems with colors running.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I never wash anything with hot water! Especially not quilts.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I would print out washing instructions and included them with the quilt. I would NEVER wash a silk blouse in hot water and I treat my quilts like they were made from silk. I don't use abrasive laundry soap either. I want one of my quilts to be seen on the Antique Roadshow 2152 long after I am dead and buried!!! If the people you give the gift of a quilt don't treat it right, it is their lost, not yours.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I pre wash all my fabric before I use it. After I'm done, I wash in warm or cold and short cycle. Throw into dryer at intervals. The dryer is a low temp.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I pre wash all my fabric before I use it. After I'm done, I wash in warm or cold and short cycle. Throw into dryer at intervals. The dryer is a low temp.
Now I soak all new fabrics in hot water (and dry them, of course) before cutting them. I know if my fabrics " play nicely together" before they are cut.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Now I soak all new fabrics in hot water (and dry them, of course) before cutting them. I know if my fabrics " play nicely together" before they are even cut.

But to answer your question: I wash a finished quilt in cool to warm water on a gentle cycle with a mild detergent, and dry gently.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I wash my fabrics, warm water and dryer.....then when I give my quilt, I ask that they be washed in cool water and either line dry or tumble on low. I haven't heard of any problems with colors running.
Line drying could result in broken threads from the weight of the wet quilt. Drying flat is a better option, or tumble drying on low heat.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 AM

Was it Forest Gump who said....You can't stop stupid? Even if a quilt I had was severely dirty or think kids...throw up or something like that on it, I would still wash in warm water after having sprayed the areas that are dirty with 409 or some other really good cleanser/disinfectant. I use Odoban a lot as my final rinse softener. It is both a disinfectant and the original Eucalyptus scent smells good. My washer has a setting for pre-wash and 2nd rinse. If it is dirty enough that I need a pre-wash, then I add a capful of Odoban to the first wash.

I am going to start labeling mine as warm/cold wash, dryer on low. Do not hang while wet. This board makes you think, doesn't it?