Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
That is wonderful!!!

I have 3 girls 24-29 and none of them sew!!! (cry)
I am hoping someday they will
Of course my son, 22, has no interest.
yikes...I feel your pain...who are going to pass things down to??

Of course at that age, I hated garment sewing, but loved to make home decor stuff and crafts...not really quilting back then...maybe something will spark them one day....I am keeping fingers crossed fore you...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

My oldest DD can out-sew me any day. She is fast and has such talent. My youngest DD has no interst in sewing. I made them both learn how in 4-H. Told them they needed to know the basics. My 7 1/2 yr GS in now in 4-H and wants to do a quilt this year. We have several younger boys that quilt for the fair.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM

One DD (37) who does not sew anything - takes after her aunts on both sides of the family. I take after my aunts as well, all sewers and quilters. Guess it skipped a generation..lol
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emerald46
One DD (37) who does not sew anything - takes after her aunts on both sides of the family. I take after my aunts as well, all sewers and quilters. Guess it skipped a generation..lol
in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on both sides..my dad sews, does leather work, lapidary, silversmithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
One of is girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 PM

That is awesome. I love those big block quilts. My 15yo dd has been sewing for years-she got her own machine for her 8th birthday but was sewing before that. She isn't interested in quilting though. My 13 yo dd has not learned yet. When we get her room done I am going to put my featherweight in there so she can learn on it. My son is not the least bit interested in learning.

My older dd knits though, and I don't know how. She can knit just about anything without a pattern.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM

My daughter has always been a tiny thing, and in high school developed scoliosis which resulted in her having surgery.They wanted her to give some of her own blood if it was needed during the surgery (it was) so we had to spend a few days at the blood collection place. So she was lying there, with an iv in her arm, and I look down and she has on a skirt I had never seen before, but it was cute, and I told her so. Seems she had gone to Goodwill, bought a large top, and made a skirt that went around her!
The next week, that young lady had a sewing machine.
She's almost 23 and still here at home (since her plans are to attend med school)and just a few months ago got my old sewing cabinet and a room devoted to just her, sewing if that's what she wants to do
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

I taught my boys several crafts. The oldest loves leather work, welding and carpentry, the youngest likes cake decorating, sewing, cross stitch, drawing, and ceramics!

Daughter does drawing, sewing, and cross stitch!

I love that all do something!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

My daughter is 23 and has been sewing for years. Sew sews clothes, halloween costumes and she loves to quilt. She's must have inherated the "sewing gene" as every female before her has sewn. My mom taught me, who's mom taught her, who's mom taught her, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 AM

My daughters love to receive the quilts I make, but don't care to learn the craft. Maybe in time!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 AM

My middle son is about to make a convertible top for his old MG he is restoring. I taught him how to sew way back. He sewed on patches for everyone when he was in the Army. My daughter CAN sew, but chooses not to. She says she doesn't need to because her mother does. The other two aren't and never have been interested. Grandkids can all sew, thanks to me. They haven't made quilts yet.