Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does it always have to be 100% cotton?

Does it always have to be 100% cotton?

I saw some fabric I liked that was part polyester and part cotton. I can't remember how much of each. I would really like to use this fabric for the back of a quilt. The front is all cotton. I KNOW this isn't recommended, but has anyone done it and been okay with it?

Dina

Did you pre shrink the front fabric? I have done it with no problems but I do like the crinkly look.

I have used poly cotton and cotton. The poly cotton faded and wore faster but besides that I did not notice a difference. I used it in a child's quilt and the quilt has been used intensively for 8 years.
    Anna Quilts

Do what ever you want, the quilt police will not come knocking at your door, if it is the color, size you need go for it. If the quilt is going to be a show quilt, you might use cotton, but I have used what ever I have and it did not make a difference. I even use sheets from Wal-Mart, 200 thread count. Have fun, enjoy the craft.

Okay, thanks. I will go for it. The quilt is for my use, no quilt show will ever see it. I feel much better now.

Dina

I use polycotton often for backing. someone else mentioned preshrinking the front fabrics. (sometimes I dont and all is well...shhhh the quilt police is lurking just wait for it, she'll show up and give me a good lashing)

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    I use polycotton often for backing. someone else mentioned preshrinking the front fabrics. (sometimes I dont and all is well...shhhh the quilt police is lurking just wait for it, she'll show up and give me a good lashing)
    This is good to hear....though I do appreciate you whispering. I have not preshrunk the front. I guess it isn't too late, but I really don't want to.

Thanks,
    Dina

I think it will be just fine.

I admit I have used a cotton/poly blend in black several times (I have yet to find a good quality black all-cotton). The only problem I have had with it is that in small cuts it shrinks, but for a backing it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    I admit I have used a cotton/poly blend in black several times (I have yet to find a good quality black all-cotton). The only problem I have had with it is that in small cuts it shrinks, but for a backing it should be fine.
    Isn't one of the characteristics of a poly blend that they won't shrink? Also they won't wrinkle. What is going on?

Blog Entries
    I use blends all the time mixed in with cotton. I buy the blend that is more % cotton then % poly.
    Got fabric?

I use the poly/cotton blend often and even mix it with the 100% cotton. I've never had a problem. I agree about the black poly/cotton......I like it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    Do what ever you want, the quilt police will not come knocking at your door, if it is the color, size you need go for it. If the quilt is going to be a show quilt, you might use cotton, but I have used what ever I have and it did not make a difference. I even use sheets from Wal-Mart, 200 thread count. Have fun, enjoy the craft.
    If they do show up, play dumb. Tell them you don't know what they are talking about. lol.
    katigirl