Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Does it always have to be 100% cotton?

  1. #1
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,330

    Does it always have to be 100% cotton?

    I saw some fabric I liked that was part polyester and part cotton. I can't remember how much of each. I would really like to use this fabric for the back of a quilt. The front is all cotton. I KNOW this isn't recommended, but has anyone done it and been okay with it?

    Dina

  2. #2
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,244
    Did you pre shrink the front fabric? I have done it with no problems but I do like the crinkly look.

  3. #3
    Power Poster Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    10,641
    I have used poly cotton and cotton. The poly cotton faded and wore faster but besides that I did not notice a difference. I used it in a child's quilt and the quilt has been used intensively for 8 years.
    Anna Quilts

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pat M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    641
    Do what ever you want, the quilt police will not come knocking at your door, if it is the color, size you need go for it. If the quilt is going to be a show quilt, you might use cotton, but I have used what ever I have and it did not make a difference. I even use sheets from Wal-Mart, 200 thread count. Have fun, enjoy the craft.

  5. #5
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,330
    Okay, thanks. I will go for it. The quilt is for my use, no quilt show will ever see it. I feel much better now.

    Dina

  6. #6
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,479
    I use polycotton often for backing. someone else mentioned preshrinking the front fabrics. (sometimes I dont and all is well...shhhh the quilt police is lurking just wait for it, she'll show up and give me a good lashing)

  7. #7
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,330
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    I use polycotton often for backing. someone else mentioned preshrinking the front fabrics. (sometimes I dont and all is well...shhhh the quilt police is lurking just wait for it, she'll show up and give me a good lashing)
    This is good to hear....though I do appreciate you whispering. I have not preshrunk the front. I guess it isn't too late, but I really don't want to.

    Thanks,
    Dina

  8. #8
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,358
    I think it will be just fine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    499
    I admit I have used a cotton/poly blend in black several times (I have yet to find a good quality black all-cotton). The only problem I have had with it is that in small cuts it shrinks, but for a backing it should be fine.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    I admit I have used a cotton/poly blend in black several times (I have yet to find a good quality black all-cotton). The only problem I have had with it is that in small cuts it shrinks, but for a backing it should be fine.
    Isn't one of the characteristics of a poly blend that they won't shrink? Also they won't wrinkle. What is going on?

  11. #11
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,658
    Blog Entries
    2
    I use blends all the time mixed in with cotton. I buy the blend that is more % cotton then % poly.
    Got fabric?

  12. #12
    Super Member donnalynett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,317
    I use the poly/cotton blend often and even mix it with the 100% cotton. I've never had a problem. I agree about the black poly/cotton......I like it the best.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    jamestown, new york
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    Do what ever you want, the quilt police will not come knocking at your door, if it is the color, size you need go for it. If the quilt is going to be a show quilt, you might use cotton, but I have used what ever I have and it did not make a difference. I even use sheets from Wal-Mart, 200 thread count. Have fun, enjoy the craft.
    If they do show up, play dumb. Tell them you don't know what they are talking about. lol.
    katigirl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.